One of the most popular events – outside the Indianapolis 500 of course, to take place at the historic Indianapolis Motor Speedway doesn’t begin to touch the famed 2.5-mile oval. The third edition of the Driven2SaveLives BC 39 powered by NOS Energy Drink is scheduled to take place in the infield at IMS on August 18-19, after COVID-19 scotched its third running in 2020.
First ignited in 2018 following the death of USAC standout and three-time champion Bryan Clauson, who made three starts in the Indianapolis 500, the event is intended to increase awareness of and participation in the Indiana Donor Network and Driven2SaveLives. The 39-lap feature and its preliminary events will take place on Wednesday and Thursday, August 18-19, the week after the Brickyard circuit hosts its first-ever NASCAR/INDYCAR doubleheader on the road course.
“Everyone missed the wheel-to-wheel action of the BC39 last year,” said J.Douglas Boles, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president. “It’s back – and better than ever. We can’t wait! This event delivers two nights of some of the most exciting racing you can see anywhere, and it also raises awareness for such an important cause, the Indiana Donor Network and Drive2SaveLives. We also appreciate the continued support and promotion of USAC Midget racing and the BC39 by NOS Energy Drink,” Boles said.
The event takes place on a purpose-built quarter-mile dirt oval inside the third turn at IMS. It continues to honor Clauson, whose death helped others live through his own organ donations. While tickets are not yet on sale, they will start at $35, the same rate as the second edition of the race, which was held in 2019.
The inaugural Driven2SaveLives BC39 race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway was won by Brady Bacon, while Zeb Wise took the second victory in this race.