Larry Dixon Sues the NHRA

Larry Dixon Sues the NHRA

NHRA Top Fuel drag racer Larry Dixon has survived a lot. Team disruptions, flying exercises at the 2015 Gatornationals, even Stage III throat cancer in 2015. Now he’s battling something bigger: the NHRA itself. The sanctioning body took extreme measures against the driver when he showed off his two-seater dragster at the 2017 SEMA show, one which he intended to use to bring even more fan interest to the sanctioning body.

NHRA wasn’t happy to see an old chassis tech sticker on the dragster, even though it was expired. They sanctioned Dixon by suspending the three-time champion from competition, fiddling with the appeals process to the point where he lost more than a year’s worth of competition opportunities on the dragstrip in any sort of race car.

Dixon finally had enough. On April 11 he filed a federal antitrust lawsuit against NHRA, alleging wrongful suspension and blacklisting, dating back to 2017. The complaint, filed in Indianapolis, alleges the two-seater dragster was banned and blacklisted from more than 140 NHRA-member tracks, even as NHRA allowed similar vehicles produced by another former driver.

Larry Dixon Sues the NHRA

Drag racing has been Dixon’s primary source of income since 1995 and, thanks to his suspension – actually a lifetime ban – he’s been devoid of income for more than two years. The complaint says the driver “has now been entirely deprived of his livelihood and sole source of income by this unjustifiable suspension, unless he relinquishes an investment of hundreds of thousands of dollars, as well as the future profits he could derive from that investment.”

Talking to the Indianapolis Business Journal (IBJ), Dixon said he wasn’t happy to be filing the suit. “It’s disappointing it’s had to get to this point,” he said. He tried, on many occasions, to come to terms with NHRA so that he might be able to support his family once again. “There’s a lot of it I don’t understand. This has absolutely put me out of business as a professional racer. I don’t want anybody else to have to go through something like this.”

It was in 2016, right after he publicly discussed his recovery from throat cancer, that Dixon spoke with NHRA about his two-seater idea. Initially, NHRA professed interest, as did potential sponsors and NHRA-member tracks. With their initial enthusiasm, Dixon formed Championship Adventures LLC with investor Nick Salamone. The initial car was built and shown at SEMA; Dixon unveiled Larry Dixon Top Fuel Experience, stating it was the “fastest ride in drag racing.”

Larry Dixon Sues the NHRA

The response at SEMA was extremely positive. “We literally got over 1,000 email inquiries,” Dixon said. Then NHRA saw the expired chassis sticker and all those plans Dixon and Salamone had went south. NHRA sent him a notice saying he’d violated NHRA rules with the car: “As you were told by NHRA officials on multiple occasions,” the notice said, “NHRA has not and will not approve a two-seat top fuel dragster for a variety of reasons. The two-seat top fuel concept presents serious safety concerns that have not been satisfied and that we do not believe can be satisfied.”

In the appeals process, Dixon was advised not to hire legal counsel, wasn’t permitted to attend his own appeals hearing and couldn’t see any evidence presented against him. NHRA’s decision stated the driver “could not compete in NHRA as a driver or team owner unless he would ‘ensure’ that the two-seater dragster would not be operated anywhere in the world, with it being ‘the committee’s strong recommendation’ that he ‘dismantle’ the car,” his complaint states.

In July of last year, NHRA arbitrarily declared he was guilty of all charges, but lifted his suspension for “time served.”

The lawsuit is going forward as Dixon attempts to clear his name. He accuses NHRA of defamation and alleges it violated the driver’s due process rights, the Sherman Antitrust Act and similar state laws. While his suspension has been unofficially lifted, that reinstatement hasn’t been made known to the drag racing community, leaving the three-time champ unable to secure work.

Larry Dixon Sues the NHRA

Avatar
About Anne Proffit 582 Articles
Anne Proffit traces her love of racing - in particular drag racing - to her childhood days in Philadelphia, where Atco Dragway, Englishtown and Maple Grove Raceway were destinations just made for her. As a diversion, she was the first editor of IMSA’s Arrow newsletter, and now writes about and photographs sports cars, Indy cars, Formula 1, MotoGP, NASCAR, Formula Drift, Red Bull Global Rallycross - in addition to her first love of NHRA drag racing. A specialty is a particular admiration for the people that build and tune drag racing engines.

5 Comments on Larry Dixon Sues the NHRA

  1. NHRA is slowly going under. It’s impossible for most people who have a strong interest in drag racing to be able to run a car like this and to go after Larry Dixon for a pretty good idea and suspend him and then have their biased kangaroo court appeal process is beyond wrong. I hope he wins his case. The fact is, the people go there to watch the doorslammers not a Partial field of nitrocars at $60 plus per ticket. And to play the roll of the big bully against a former multi champion with a decent idea, maybe they just need to go the same way as IHRA. They didn’t go under but they cater to the little guy racers and dropped the nitro cars and probably got rid of the Di*kheads that want to throw their weight around for no reason. I don’t even go to the money grubbing national events any more nobody can relate to the top three pro category’s, get rid of them. People will fill the now vacant seats to watch Pro stock bikes, promods, modified classes the FS/XX cars only give them some real tires on the back instead of the dangerous 9” slick trying to handle 1500hp, the super stock and stock cars. More people would be more inclined to build their own cars knowing they don’t have to have the latest and most expensive part to get another couple of hundreds of a second in the modified and down classes.

  2. Its about time some one stands up to the BIG BULLIES OF NHRA !!! I for one support Larry Dixon and pray that he wins !! Its OBVIOUS that the kangaroo court could care less about the racers and their family’s welfare ?? All they care about is the POWER THEY HAVE OVER THE RACERS AND THEIR TEAMS ?? they need to get over a power trip and work with Larry ???? Why not work towards a solution and put limits on the car to only run so fast or how much horsepower it has and allow the FANS TO EXPERIENCE a ride in a top fuel dragster??? If the chassis is built right and to NHRA specification to protect the driver and passenger why not allow it to run on a trial period to see if it is something to get the spectators back in the stands . YOU GO LARRY !!!

  3. When I pay an NHRA approved inspector to inspect, certify, and tag my chassis, I own that chassis tag. I paid for it. Its mine. I have never heard of an out of date tag being required to be removed from an old chassis. This is BS. Who the fuck is in charge here? Is the dog food guy back again???

    • Sounds like an abuse of power to me. A bit of an over reach. The sanctioning body should be about the racers safety, organization of races and entertainment of the fan base period.

    • The NHRA has only one goal in their sights Larry, and it’s not the welfare of the racers! It’s the money and control of that money. They couldn’t care less about that tag but if it means they might lose control of that revenue source, they’ll fight you to the end! They’ve destroyed the sport!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


I agree to receive emails from RacingJunk.com. I understand that I can unsubscribe at any time. Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2005-2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
All Rights Reserved.

Internet Brands