307? yep thats what i said....lol

Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

Default 307? yep thats what i said....lol

ok guys ive got a new hair up my.... heres what im going to do. ive got A 307 chevy thatwe took out of my wifes 67 impala. im gonna build this instead of a 350.its cheap as i already have it.its a small block which is what i want.back in the day racers would punch 283s and end up with 292 ci. ive seen with mmy own eyes a 292 pull the front wheels on a 41 willys.a steel willys at that.now with this 307there Are a lot of combos to get me horsepower and more ci. 350 cranks are a good way to start.the only drawback is the heads.307s have such a small bore that getting 202 heads on it is like a waste of time.also gettinmg regular 307 pistons that are hi comp. is going to cost as they just dont make them anymore. and going with 350 pistons can and has made them awful thin on the bore. but im on the hamb alot.and i mean alot.there are engine builders therte that ahve built these thing up and ended up with a cheap hi hp engine and thats what im gonna do.and have one that will wind to the moon!! im gonna put this in a 41 willys glass body so it will not have alot of weight to move.its street wieght not race weight so its gonna be alittle more stable.the whole body doesnt weight 225 pounds! ok, ive got a few combos going on in my head for cranks rods etc. anyone want to throw some out here for me to see?any naysayers? dont tell me tojust use a 350 block because thats not the goal herte. the goal is to take what you have and build that. i have a 307.(i also have a couple 350s but they are going into something else).im going to build a 375 hp 307. i am going to do it! and with what i have laying around. im sure ill buy some things but i want to use what i got so i can truly say this was built the old school way...
Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

All engine or ya stickin' a huffer on it ? Love your goal, be the way !
Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 307? yep thats what i said....lol

Originally Posted by outlaw256
ok guys ive got a new hair up my.... heres what im going to do. ive got A 307 chevy thatwe took out of my wifes 67 impala. im gonna build this instead of a 350.its cheap as i already have it.its a small block which is what i want.back in the day racers would punch 283s and end up with 292 ci. ive seen with mmy own eyes a 292 pull the front wheels on a 41 willys.a steel willys at that.now with this 307there Are a lot of combos to get me horsepower and more ci. 350 cranks are a good way to start.the only drawback is the heads.307s have such a small bore that getting 202 heads on it is like a waste of time.also gettinmg regular 307 pistons that are hi comp. is going to cost as they just dont make them anymore. and going with 350 pistons can and has made them awful thin on the bore. but im on the hamb alot.and i mean alot.there are engine builders therte that ahve built these thing up and ended up with a cheap hi hp engine and thats what im gonna do.and have one that will wind to the moon!! im gonna put this in a 41 willys glass body so it will not have alot of weight to move.its street wieght not race weight so its gonna be alittle more stable.the whole body doesnt weight 225 pounds! ok, ive got a few combos going on in my head for cranks rods etc. anyone want to throw some out here for me to see?any naysayers? dont tell me tojust use a 350 block because thats not the goal herte. the goal is to take what you have and build that. i have a 307.(i also have a couple 350s but they are going into something else).im going to build a 375 hp 307. i am going to do it! and with what i have laying around. im sure ill buy some things but i want to use what i got so i can truly say this was built the old school way...
Outlaw watch this movie from the late 80's old school, car weighed 2450 lbs

Zip.

My friend in Phx with a david nickins 292" motor that ran 8.80's when fresh, leaves at 10500 RPM, runs 163 MPH 9.10/9.20 in 110 degree temp.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

zip i couldnt get the vid to work but lookin at what you wrote see i knew it could be done!!!! ive seen steel willys put the wheels high in the air with them and thats exactly what im gonna do.ive been gathering up parts. ive got me a TUNNELRAM a engine that needs building lol i think i got a craNK. going to look at some 305 heads monday. i was told i can get pistons custom mad for about 600-700. dollars. going with 12.5 or 13. to 1. if i get them made.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 AM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 307

Uh, guy, I think I would take a chill pill till after the first of the year. You may need the 307 block as an anchor to keep us from falling of the fisical cliff. LOL.

Seriously, if the idea is to save money and use what you have, why spend alot of money on a special set of pistons. For the difference in price of special pistons you could buy a 4 bolt 350 block and a set of $400 forged pistons with a dome. If you want RPM, put in a 327 or 383 crank with bearing spacers. It will put that Willys another foot higher with that round tube chrome rear bumper filled with lead.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Stock pistons and a blower orta do it !
Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

mark i can get 10.1/2 with stock pistons. ive got a 327 crank. i also have almost everything to build a 350 13.1. but that aint the goal. im going to take this 307 and blow people off the street. bak in the late 70s people told me i couldnt get my 55 with its 327 to run in the 11s. my best time was 10.92.that was fast for the 70s street car.i did it. now im going to take this 307 and do the same thing. ive got a buddy who has a 292 chevy (283 bored) that is nothing but bad.i can go faster but not for the money. the car im building is being built to 63-64 nhra rules. gasser rules. and there werent no 350s around then..but there were some fast 292s and 327s.seen many of them worked over 283s shut down 409s and 348s....god i miss the old days.so im gonig back to them and i aint comin back...lol trying to get one built before the 2013 hamb drags.well thats the goal anyway...
Old 12-21-2012, 02:22 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default 307

Sorry to give you a hard time about the 307.

Sounds like you have been thru this before, so now I say go for it.

I do remember when we had a 265 with a 50# flywheel in Stock class. Wind it up to the moon and hope the rear end could take it.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:32 AM
outlaw256
RACING JUNKIE

man you didnt give me no hard time.lol.i like all imputs when i ask or tell something. buddy if we all agreed with each other what the hell would we have to talk about except the one who dont agree!! lol yeah ive built a few sbc. not like the zip thou. but i love them and i love ol gassers from the day. so my goal is to build one that is truly a nostalga car.using nothing but what was one the shelf back in the day. and man that inculeds the wheels.lol but not the engine guts. that i want to be the best from today. i hate blowin up a engine. makes it hard to get back on the trailer...lol
Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

Couple of things . . How "Old School" are ya gonna get? Real "Old School", late 50's, would find a guy putting whatever V8 he could find in whatever he had and then making it run better n' better as he went . .

Or . . If you're gonna race it, "Old School" dictates that you rebuild or replace your little SBC frequently, because you always asked more from it than it could give . . So start with something that's cheap to fix or replace . .

Heheheheheh, I know there's SBC Freaks out there that just clenched their fists and jaws . . but been there and done that . . Between a B/Gasser with a 310 SBC and a Jr. Fueler with much the same engine back in the late 60's, that's an "Old School" I don't wanna go back to . . It was fun when I was young . . I ain't young any more!

But different strokes, I guess . . .

Merry Christmas, guys . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -