hp question

Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 PM
  #1  
dartsteve
Member
JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: jacksonville florida
Posts: 34
Default hp question

just took car to dyno, not pleased with the numbers
just looking for some input
500hp at 5200rpm
here is the combo

500 ci mopar
12.5:1 cr
700 lift cam prostock roller lifters
port and polished aluminum heads
1.5 roller rockers,
bird catcher with alky
38 degree timing
msd 7al2
the lamda was .7 on both sides
egt ranges 990-1040 F
5000 stall converter, JW ultraglide, strange 9" with 4.10 progears
33x15.5 slicks

i know it was running rich but power should be much better
the first time i went to dyno(different one) i made 610hp at 5000rpm before trans issue.(bad pump)
thanks for the input
dartsteve is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 04:05 AM
  #2  
curtisreed
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
curtisreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: KIEFER, OK.
Posts: 1,312
Default

The EGT numbers look ok but the Lambda number seems really rich. Here are some numbers I have for conversion from Lambda.

Lambda alcohol gas

1.000 6.450 14.700
0.990 6.386 14.553
0.980 6.321 14.406
0.970 6.257 14.259
0.960 6.192 14.112
0.950 6.128 13.965
0.940 6.063 13.818
0.930 5.999 13.671
0.920 5.934 13.524
0.910 5.870 13.377
0.900 5.805 13.230
0.890 5.741 13.083
0.880 5.676 12.936
0.870 5.612 12.789
0.860 5.547 12.642
0.850 5.483 12.495
0.840 5.418 12.348
0.830 5.354 12.201
0.820 5.289 12.054
0.810 5.225 11.907
0.800 5.160 11.760
0.790 5.096 11.613
0.780 5.031 11.466
0.770 4.967 11.319
0.760 4.902 11.172
0.750 4.838 11.025
curtisreed is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 AM
  #3  
roadkill2
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 628
Default

Again, not being a wiseass, but . .

Tire guages aren't the same, one reads one thing, the next may be a half pound different. Same with Dynos . . It's all relative. When you changed Dyno's you started over . .

Jus' a SWAG here, but take 2 out of it, lean it out two steps and try it again. Dunno what yer air is but I've never seen many 500" alky engines that liked more than 33-34 of lead . . 'Course, I've always dealt with blown alky engines so there may be some difference.

Take it to the track, as I said in another thread, the race track is the most honest Dyno ever created . .
roadkill2 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
  #4  
maxpower671
Senior Member
SENIOR BUILDER
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 117
Default listen to Roadkill2

Originally Posted by roadkill2
Again, not being a wiseass, but . .

Tire guages aren't the same, one reads one thing, the next may be a half pound different. Same with Dynos . . It's all relative. When you changed Dyno's you started over . .

Jus' a SWAG here, but take 2 out of it, lean it out two steps and try it again. Dunno what yer air is but I've never seen many 500" alky engines that liked more than 33-34 of lead . . 'Course, I've always dealt with blown alky engines so there may be some difference.

Take it to the track, as I said in another thread, the race track is the most honest Dyno ever created . .
gotta agree again! wow, great advice 8)

-it sure does sound rich with those readings, as roadkill2 sez, why not lean it out and see if it responds ET wise..
-also agree on taking a bit of timing away to start with..you can always play with that once you get the fuel closer..
maxpower671 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:39 PM
  #5  
dartsteve
Member
JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: jacksonville florida
Posts: 34
Default

I think im going to stay from the dyno for awhile.
Just want a guestimate of what it should make.
dartsteve is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM
  #6  
maxpower671
Senior Member
SENIOR BUILDER
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 117
Default

Originally Posted by dartsteve
I think im going to stay from the dyno for awhile.
Just want a guestimate of what it should make.
- do your dyno guys have any real experience? :? real experience with alky?or are you teaching them?

-why not 1100-1200F on the pyro?

-why not .8xx on the Lambda?

-what do the plugs look like? burning any plating off the base?
maxpower671 is offline  
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 AM
  #7  
cncmotorsports
Senior Member
MASTER BUILDER
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brookings South Dakota
Posts: 244
Default

Your EGT looks really low. How many RPM did you pull it to?

I also agree 38 degrees seems a bit much, but every motor is different.
cncmotorsports is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM
  #8  
dartsteve
Member
JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: jacksonville florida
Posts: 34
Default

6000rpm
Plugs looked clean

Headed to track tomorrow night i hope to have pics and slips
Plan is to do one pass then make some changes.
dartsteve is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 06:47 PM
  #9  
maxpower671
Senior Member
SENIOR BUILDER
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 117
Default

Originally Posted by dartsteve
6000rpm
Plugs looked clean

Headed to track tomorrow night i hope to have pics and slips
Plan is to do one pass then make some changes.
-set the timing
-check/set valve lash
-pull some fuel out slowly....watch your timeslips! :wink:
-have fun
maxpower671 is offline  
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service