Front end question A Body

Old 10-10-2011, 02:36 PM
  #1  
Scooterz
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: EUGENE,OR.
Posts: 3,408
Default Front end question A Body

Rebuilt the 68 Chevelle front end last weekend... (had lots of help; lol) did springs, shocks, tie rods, Idler/pitman, bushings (upper lower A -arms) etc... then did the wheel bearings. The car looks like it has BBC springs in it now.... but has SBC springs/SBC. Will it settle in some & come down some by itself? It went from low, low low to nose bleed.
Scooterz is offline  
Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
  #2  
fast75vega
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 965
Default

yes it will most def. settle.... give it a few weeks :wink: did you make sure the springs were seated in the lower perches right too?
fast75vega is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 05:27 PM
  #3  
Scooterz
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: EUGENE,OR.
Posts: 3,408
Default

Yep... my wise friend actually made sure of that. I ordered SBC springs w/"AC"... but it is a non-AC car... thought they may have just a little more support... I figured this could be part of the issue... but even AC springs could not possibly make that much difference... I think?
Scooterz is offline  
Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
  #4  
fast75vega
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 965
Default

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Yep... my wise friend actually made sure of that. I ordered SBC springs w/"AC"... but it is a non-AC car... thought they may have just a little more support... I figured this could be part of the issue... but even AC springs could not possibly make that much difference... I think?
if i remember right.... there is only 100 pounds diff in spring rating between ac and non ac springs :wink: i always went with ac springs too
fast75vega is offline  
Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 PM
  #5  
wazup
Senior Member
EXPERT BUILDER
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 345
Default

Rigsby, did you tighten the A frame bolts with the weight, susp. on the ground. I allways tighten them up with the car on the ground, if not the car sits up high because the bushings are in a bind. I hope this helps.
wazup is offline  
Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 AM
  #6  
fast75vega
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 965
Default

Originally Posted by wazup
Rigsby, did you tighten the A frame bolts with the weight, susp. on the ground. I allways tighten them up with the car on the ground, if not the car sits up high because the bushings are in a bind. I hope this helps.
thats a good point too :wink:
fast75vega is offline  
Old 10-16-2011, 08:31 AM
  #7  
fast75vega
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 965
Default

Originally Posted by wazup
Rigsby, did you tighten the A frame bolts with the weight, susp. on the ground. I allways tighten them up with the car on the ground, if not the car sits up high because the bushings are in a bind. I hope this helps.
thats a good point too :wink:
fast75vega is offline  
Old 10-26-2011, 05:20 PM
  #8  
Scooterz
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: EUGENE,OR.
Posts: 3,408
Default

Nope... he did it on the lift. Crazy... I did not even think of that??? Always something new I learn from mistakes. I have kind of gotten used to it & it has grown on me some though... kind of an old school stance. Alignment seems good, goes straight, etc... front end ops up & down a little more now between gears since the old lowered springs were so short from being cut... almost 3".
Scooterz is offline  
Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 PM
  #9  
TheYellaBrick
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
TheYellaBrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Emmett, Idaho
Posts: 7,334
Default

POST PICS !

pleeeeeeeez
TheYellaBrick is offline  
Old 11-09-2011, 06:52 PM
  #10  
wazup
Senior Member
EXPERT BUILDER
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 345
Default

Originally Posted by Rigsby
Nope... he did it on the lift. Crazy... I did not even think of that??? Always something new I learn from mistakes. I have kind of gotten used to it & it has grown on me some though... kind of an old school stance. Alignment seems good, goes straight, etc... front end ops up & down a little more now between gears since the old lowered springs were so short from being cut... almost 3".
I would look at the bushings as after awhile will start twisting the rubber out of them. I have had guys that worked for me and did them on a lift and i have them put it on a drive on lift and tighten all the bolts. I would also have the custmer bring the car back after about 500 miles and loosen all the bolts and retighten as the car will settle. Good luck and sounds like your having fun.
wazup is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service