need some advise

Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM
  #1  
fast75vega
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 965
Default need some advise

had a 2007 chevy truck with a 6.0 come in to our shop with 100k on it due to no oil(their ex stabbed a hole in the oil filter)...... bottom end is tight and almost locked up. so we put another 6 liter in it as requested and now we have the old motor.

specs say it 366 cubic inches and has alum 71cc heads on it and i see you can get a carb intake and msd setup for it and rumor is you can twist these high up into the rpm's.......... so my question is.....is it worth doing it?

anyone build one and what kind of numbers?
fast75vega is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
  #2  
dragonmaster093
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: kingsport tn
Posts: 1,735
Default

ive not ssen any builds of these motors but have heard that the new gm motors have pretty stout lower end might be fun to find out if i dont cost you an arm and a leg
dragonmaster093 is offline  
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 AM
  #3  
fast75vega
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 965
Default

thats what im hearing....... just want to get more info before i decide to go down that path :wink:

here is a pic of one i found during my search for more info

http://[img]http://img.photobucket.c....jpg[/img]
fast75vega is offline  
Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 AM
  #4  
zipper06
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: La.
Posts: 2,890
Default

There's one in Hattisburg Ms. in a tube chassis car, the the guy said it's a bone stock $400.00 junk yard with a 1050 carb and solid roller cam, it runs high 5's in the 1/8. there's one here in La. that's in a 2002 Camero that the guy drives on the street (sometimes) but still has the injection, that runs in the 10's 1/4 and 6's in the 1/8 on Hoosier street slicks, he just had a friend of mine go thru the motor, change the cam, and put a PG behind it. It's one crispy critter, i suspect it will run some low 6's the next time it goes to the track. If i had the money i would build one, since i already have a 1998 Sonoma setup for the LS1 and 460L trans.

A couple yrs. ago one of the Chevy Mag's built a 403" with aftermarket heads and it made 600 plus Hp, and 800 HP witha 200 shot.

JMO

Zip.
zipper06 is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 PM
  #5  
fast75vega
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 965
Default

Originally Posted by zipper06
There's one in Hattisburg Ms. in a tube chassis car, the the guy said it's a bone stock $400.00 junk yard with a 1050 carb and solid roller cam, it runs high 5's in the 1/8. there's one here in La. that's in a 2002 Camero that the guy drives on the street (sometimes) but still has the injection, that runs in the 10's 1/4 and 6's in the 1/8 on Hoosier street slicks, he just had a friend of mine go thru the motor, change the cam, and put a PG behind it. It's one crispy critter, i suspect it will run some low 6's the next time it goes to the track. If i had the money i would build one, since i already have a 1998 Sonoma setup for the LS1 and 460L trans.

A couple yrs. ago one of the Chevy Mag's built a 403" with aftermarket heads and it made 600 plus Hp, and 800 HP witha 200 shot.

JMO

Zip.
damn zip..... those are some pretty good numbers..... :shock: what kind of rpm at the traps?
fast75vega is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:38 PM
  #6  
zipper06
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: La.
Posts: 2,890
Default

The tube car is running i think 4.88" with 14X32's, the 2002 Camero is running 4.10's with 10.5X29's i think. I know before he rebuilt it it was almost stock and ran mid 11's in the qtr. That was with a 4L60 trans and 3 someting gears. my friend used to own the car about 3 yrs. ago. The same person who owns the 66 Biscane. when he sold it it had run mid 12's at Twin Cities. The new owner has spent a lot of money on suspension and put tublar A/Arm and coil overs, and now PG, plus an after market hydaulic cam, but still stock heas. I saw the engine on hte engine stand and it appeared totally stock. But installed in the car it sounded bad ass. The most different thing about it, that he can drive it on the street and too the track.

Zip.
zipper06 is offline  
Old 02-28-2011, 04:23 PM
  #7  
TheRabbit
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
TheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga.
Posts: 2,295
Default

Originally Posted by fast75vega
thats what im hearing....... just want to get more info before i decide to go down that path :wink:

here is a pic of one i found during my search for more info

http://[img]http://img.photobucket.c....jpg[/img]
That is the funniest thing I've see all day. Sorry, but it just doesn't look right. lol
The 6.0 are tough. A lot of guys use them in rock crawlers because they can run the chitte out of and they hold up ( stock hp )and don't have any problems with running hot.
TheRabbit is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 AM
  #8  
olds48
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montvale, VA
Posts: 1,431
Default

Thanks for the link Vega. We're on the same page looks like. I'll keep you posted on any info I can find.

One guy we race with had a 6.0 in his foxbody.Stock bottom end,cam swap,rings gapped,computer tuned and (i'm pretty sure) 3.55 gears. Got 20+ mpg on the highway and consistently ran mid 5's with a single turbo.

I need to call him and pick his brain :idea:
olds48 is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM
  #9  
fast75vega
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 965
Default

Originally Posted by olds48
. Got 20+ mpg on the highway and consistently ran mid 5's:
no more street machines for me.... to many tickets and bull shit... i'll keep my ass on the track for now on..... :wink:
fast75vega is offline  
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 PM
  #10  
TheYellaBrick
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
TheYellaBrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Emmett, Idaho
Posts: 7,334
Default

Same here Vega......I get into trouble too easy on the street.
ops: ops: ops: ops:
TheYellaBrick is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service