ideas

Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 PM
  #1  
rockbuggy1
Junior Member
SHOW GUEST
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Default ideas

my s-10 has a 350 in it now i bought this truck with this motor in it and from day one it would fly one day and the next be just a turd no pop no crack its like its not getting full throtle i know it may be to much carb but!!! it has been doing this since the second day i got it home
it had a adt. plate and a 750 edlbrock carb.& headers i was told 488 lift cam
it sounds bigger but who knows as we all know adt.plates suck i had a left over torker 2 intake and a 750 demon so i put them on it now it's worse i cant find any vac. leaks i am thinking flat cam and i know my spelling sucks if you help me with ideas you can make all the fun of me you like lol
rockbuggy1 is offline  
Old 12-30-2010, 03:17 AM
  #2  
JEFF69Z28
Senior Member
DYNO OPERATOR
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 496
Default

Did you check your throttle linkage to see if has moved,maybe dist.came loose and timing has retarded,check more than just the motor,could be trans,converter..eyc..etc..
JEFF69Z28 is offline  
Old 12-30-2010, 08:20 AM
  #3  
rockbuggy1
Junior Member
SHOW GUEST
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
Did you check your throttle linkage to see if has moved,maybe dist.came loose and timing has retarded,check more than just the motor,could be trans,converter..eyc..etc..
yes i have full throttle
the timing is another oddity when i put the dist. in i made sure 1 was at tdc
i can reterd to fall off but it will not adv. to fall off which would make me think it was out 1 or 2 teath on the cam but i know its not now it has not been right since i have had it all these parts made no change and now it snezzes out the carb @3000 rpm
give or take 100 rpm like it is lean on the carb or maybe a vac.leak or i am thinking bad cam it has a flat tappet cam in it how can the stall cause my trouble can you explain it to me thank you for the help
rockbuggy1 is offline  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 AM
  #4  
fla1976
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
fla1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,534
Default

It sounds like you are a tooth off on the distributor. You should be able to advance the distributor past TDC.
fla1976 is offline  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 AM
  #5  
mopar1968
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
mopar1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Abingdon,Virginia
Posts: 3,579
Default

I agree with fla76 sound's like you need to advance the dist a tooth :!:
mopar1968 is offline  
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 PM
  #6  
rockbuggy1
Junior Member
SHOW GUEST
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by mopar1968
I agree with fla76 sound's like you need to advance the dist a tooth :!:
bad timing chian
rockbuggy1 is offline  
Old 01-01-2011, 09:30 AM
  #7  
DRTRCR22
Senior Member
EXPERT BUILDER
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 267
Default

Disconnect power to distributor, take valve covers off, use remote start button or have friend hold the start button, and watch each one of the rocker arms in action. (take spark plugs out so motor turns over faster and easier on the starter) Check slop on any and all of the rockers with both valves closed on compression stroke as soon as intake valve is completely closed.
Even if you don't find any loose rockers from exessive lobe wear (if previous owner tightened it down before selling to you), you should be able to see if one or more are not travelling as much as others. If you have access to dial indicator and magnetic holder better yet to actually measure valve travel without having to tear motor apart to pull cam to see.
I also agree possibly a bad timing chain issue... but of course make sure your distributor rotor is right on with #1 cylinder with both valves closed on the compression stroke. Watch the intake valve closely when lining up your harmonic balancer mark to the pointer to make sure you are not 180* out of sync but actually on the compression stroke. With spark plugs out you should be able to turn crankshaft by hand to get it right on to #1.
DRTRCR22 is offline  
Old 01-03-2011, 03:38 AM
  #8  
JEFF69Z28
Senior Member
DYNO OPERATOR
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 496
Default

also might be wiped cam
JEFF69Z28 is offline  
Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 AM
  #9  
rodentinfest
Junior Member
APPRENTICE
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 16
Default Re: ideas

Originally Posted by rockbuggy1
my s-10 has a 350 in it now i bought this truck with this motor in it and from day one it would fly one day and the next be just a turd no pop no crack its like its not getting full throtle i know it may be to much carb but!!! it has been doing this since the second day i got it home
it had a adt. plate and a 750 edlbrock carb.& headers i was told 488 lift cam
it sounds bigger but who knows as we all know adt.plates suck i had a left over torker 2 intake and a 750 demon so i put them on it now it's worse i cant find any vac. leaks i am thinking flat cam and i know my spelling sucks if you help me with ideas you can make all the fun of me you like lol
o.k. sounds like a bad bog for sure. so if it runs really good one time and not the next, this takes all the internal damaged cams, lifters, timing components and rocker arms out of the hunt.

I would say check the total timing, it should be checked @ 5000 rpm for total timing. this being said anywhere from 34-40 total timing would be normal for compression ratio's from 10:1 to 15:1 with proper fuel.

also, your mechanical advance system could be not working. so pop the cap and make sure the rotor will move back and fourth smoothly

2nd thing is the carb it could just be to big or your excellerator pump not working and you then have a big bog and then the engine takes off after some pumping action with your foot! check the total timing?
rodentinfest is offline  
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service