Blown big block

Old 03-11-2010, 05:51 AM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Blown big block

I am in the process of a rebuild and going for more HP. in my 540, I have read some of the treads about blown motors and the debate about steel rods vs aluminum rods, My question is at what HP should you switch over to aluminum rods ? I am running the eagle cranks and the eagle H beam rods w/ the L-19 bolts, from what I understand and read that combo is good for 1500 HP correct ? The way the economy is, tring to work with what I have.

The combo I was going with is eagle crank and h beam rods 10 to 1 compression with a 871 supercharger w/ 12 lbs of boost it should be around 1200 hp on Gas, and w/ 15 lbs of boost around 1350hp w/ 18 lbs of boost around 1500 hp. all on gas. Does this sound about right and reliable ? I would run the 12-15 lbs of boost. To be safe what do you think ?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

No personal experience on the subject, but I'll chime in and hopefully get the ball rolling for ya :wink:

Pro> On blown motors the aluminum rod is the better choice cause it softens the "hit" to the crankshaft.

Con> Shorter life span as compared to steel.

Cp
Old 03-13-2010, 03:36 PM
blowninjected540
EXPERT BUILDER

ops: Didn't realize this question came up before, read a little further in the forum like around page 4 or 5 and found my answer. ops: