What spark plugs do the procomp 210 angle plug heads take

Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 PM
  #1  
carssteve36
Junior Member
APPRENTICE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 23
Default What spark plugs do the procomp 210 angle plug heads take

:? Can anybody tell me that is what was on my 406 when I got it looks like they take a long reach plug
carssteve36 is offline  
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
  #2  
zipper06
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: La.
Posts: 2,890
Default

ProComp recomends NGK 8's, but that's too cold for a gas motor. We run NGK 7's for gas and NGK 8's for alcohol.
Yes i know the #'s sound backward but NGK plugs have lower # hotter.

JMO

Zip.
zipper06 is offline  
Old 03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
  #3  
carssteve36
Junior Member
APPRENTICE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Thanks have you ever used these heads my motor is 406 with a 554 545 roller cam 10-1 comp with the procomp 210 angle plug heads with a 205 int and 160 exh comp spring and manley vavles with a team g intake hope it makes enough power to put my 69 camaro it the low 12 :roll:
carssteve36 is offline  
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM
  #4  
wrightway
Senior Member
SENIOR BUILDER
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LAWTON MI
Posts: 113
Default

Low 12s how many passengers are planning to have in the car to slow it down that much? :lol:
I ran 11.80s a few years ago in a 72 chevell with a 406 with a set of double humps and a 555 lift flat tappet cam that 69 has to be lighter and the procomps have got to be better :wink:
wrightway is offline  
Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 PM
  #5  
zipper06
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: La.
Posts: 2,890
Default

Originally Posted by carssteve36
Thanks have you ever used these heads my motor is 406 with a 554 545 roller cam 10-1 comp with the procomp 210 angle plug heads with a 205 int and 160 exh comp spring and manley vavles with a team g intake hope it makes enough power to put my 69 camaro it the low 12 :roll:


I haven't run the heads, i am a ProComp dealer and have sold several sets, big and sm/blks. I'm glad you elected to put Manley valves in the heads, because i don't trust PC valves at all. As Joe said the PC 210's are better than the double hump heads, and your car should weigh 3,000/3,100 lbs. I'd run an 850 carb, and with the right gear and tire combo the car could run mid too low 11's or low 7's high 6's 1/8 and. I ran 6.60 with a 406" and track1 heads in my Malibu @ 3250 lbs with a 6.20 gear and 14X32's.

JMO

Zip.
zipper06 is offline  
Old 03-11-2010, 02:28 AM
  #6  
JEFF69Z28
Senior Member
DYNO OPERATOR
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 496
Default

Originally Posted by zipper06
ProComp recomends NGK 8's, but that's too cold for a gas motor. We run NGK 7's for gas and NGK 8's for alcohol.
Yes i know the #'s sound backward but NGK plugs have lower # hotter.

JMO

Zip.
ngk 8 to cold,i guess i better stop using 9's and try some 7's.
JEFF69Z28 is offline  
Old 03-11-2010, 06:42 AM
  #7  
chpseat987
Member
CRAFTSMAN
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 57
Default

I purchased a set of the pro comps last year they were alot easier on the budjet, I used the PC valves and my springs they matched my cam, 653 intake and 689 ex ish give or take a few I dont remember exactaly solid roller custom, run on a 427 60 over bore 14:1 comp turbo 400 trans/w brake 5200 stall, 9" slicks, we run at 7700 feet altitude and my best time was 11:53 in the 1/4/ with a 750 carb. This year I ported and polished the heads, ported the Team g mainfold, and I am running a 950 carb, was able to get about 100 pounda out of the car. I really hope to be close to flat 11's this year.

The only problem I have been having with these heads is seating the valves. It has taken alot of extra work and grinding at the machine shop.

Speaking of the new carb i have been trying to get the jetting right is it normal to have the jets alot ALOT smaller in this bigger carb than the smaller one?
chpseat987 is offline  
Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
  #8  
zipper06
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: La.
Posts: 2,890
Default

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
Originally Posted by zipper06
ProComp recomends NGK 8's, but that's too cold for a gas motor. We run NGK 7's for gas and NGK 8's for alcohol.
Yes i know the #'s sound backward but NGK plugs have lower # hotter.

JMO

Zip.
ngk 8 to cold,i guess i better stop using 9's and try some 7's.
Jeff, i don't know what your situation is, but from experience, the 9"s are cold enough to run blown alcohol.
Case in point, we've got a 468" in a 3700lb Biscyne less driver. It's 10.2 CP motor. The car is streetable, we started out with 9's with a 200 shot, the car wouldn't top end. We went too 8's and the car ran 6.26 and 10.13 @ 131.82 with 1.36 60'. Best run with NGK 9's was 10.52 @ 127.
I run an injected alcohol sm/blk, i cross referenced the atuolite plugs i had in it to NGK, they came out 9's I put them in and the car kept loading up. I put 8's in it and it came back to normal.
I recommended the 7's because his motor is pretty mild and on gas, if he runs nitrous i would say 8's

JMO

Zip
zipper06 is offline  
Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
  #9  
zipper06
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: La.
Posts: 2,890
Default

Originally Posted by chpseat987
I purchased a set of the pro comps last year they were alot easier on the budjet, I used the PC valves and my springs they matched my cam, 653 intake and 689 ex ish give or take a few I dont remember exactaly solid roller custom, run on a 427 60 over bore 14:1 comp turbo 400 trans/w brake 5200 stall, 9" slicks, we run at 7700 feet altitude and my best time was 11:53 in the 1/4/ with a 750 carb. This year I ported and polished the heads, ported the Team g mainfold, and I am running a 950 carb, was able to get about 100 pounda out of the car. I really hope to be close to flat 11's this year.

The only problem I have been having with these heads is seating the valves. It has taken alot of extra work and grinding at the machine shop.

Speaking of the new carb i have been trying to get the jetting right is it normal to have the jets alot ALOT smaller in this bigger carb than the smaller one?
I know exactly what you're talking about on the valve seats, i never sell a built set of PC's i sell them bare with a build kit and tell them to take them to a machine shop and have the seats and valves reground.
I don't know if there is a right answer for Denver, it's a different ballgame up there. I think the prostock guys actually down size their carbs and cams when they race there. The only cars that run good there are the blown cars.
I remember your saying the cam was ground for altitude. We run a similar cam but .653/.668/110LC here in the swamp lands in a 468" with 10.2CP and 1050 dominator, we run 88's sq'ed.
It might help now that you've ported the heads, you didn't say if you're running an air box for a little forced air, definately a must have in Denver. I remember running in Phx. and forgetting to put the air box back on top of the carbs and it cost 1/10 et. and 2 mph and that was in the 6th and final round, one of the stupidest things i've ever done.

Zip.
zipper06 is offline  
Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 PM
  #10  
cepx111
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,044
Default

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28
Originally Posted by zipper06
ProComp recomends NGK 8's, but that's too cold for a gas motor. We run NGK 7's for gas and NGK 8's for alcohol.
Yes i know the #'s sound backward but NGK plugs have lower # hotter.

JMO

Zip.
ngk 8 to cold,i guess i better stop using 9's and try some 7's.
I run #8s in a gas motor, never had any issues that I know of.

ZIP>>> you think I'd pick up any if I ran #7s

Just wondering if I'm leaving anything on the table using the #8s?
cepx111 is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service