shut down procedure

Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 AM
mooneye777
MASTER BUILDER

Default shut down procedure

Now that we have had the burnout procedure thread, its time for the shut down procedure.

I have usually have thrown the car into neutral after crossing the 1320 mark, is this the proper way to end a run ? I have been told by some to leave it in gear, and by others to throw it in neutral, What is the way you do it.!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

If it's a real short track I'll leave it in gear to help slow it down...but if I have a lot of room I'll put it in nuetral and just use the brakes.

TS1955
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

no way will I ever put a car in N ... I've witnessed more people loose the car and worse get hurt by doing this.

It may be easier on things to some but I have no issues not doing it .. just a risk I am not willing to take.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:27 AM
slowmotion
RACING JUNKIE

I've used neutral before. I had cooling problems and would shut the car down and coast. Gateway has a very loooonnnggg shut down. Since we put in the new radiator, I leave it in gear. going to neutral can be very dangerous.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM
TS1955
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by hammertime
no way will I ever put a car in N ... I've witnessed more people loose the car and worse get hurt by doing this.

It may be easier on things to some but I have no issues not doing it .. just a risk I am not willing to take.
Hey David,
You've got me couriuos about this...Please explain. Thanks

TS1955
Old 12-21-2009, 01:54 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

maybe just my cars , but in my dragster if I throw it up in neutral the chassis unloads and it starts moving around ALOT . IF i LEAVE IT IN GEAR , IT STOPS STRAIGHT , NO BOUNCING OR ANY OTHER BAD BEHAVIOR..woops didn't mean for those to be caps ,,,sorry
Old 12-21-2009, 01:56 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Maniac, the CAP POLICE are watching you!!!
:lol: Dave
Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

I know ops: ops: not real stupid , just can't type
Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

I don't know if there is any truth to it or not , but I was also told one time that it was bad for a automatic trans to be put in neutral at high speed , something about it turning at high rpms but the pump not because engine is off or idleing , like I said , mayby some trans guys might know more on this,,,,Paul
found this thread on the subject http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtopic.php?t=10286
Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by TS1955
Originally Posted by hammertime

Hey David,
You've got me couriuos about this...Please explain. Thanks

TS1955
Sometimes its easy to find reverse .. I seen this happen at norwalks ten grand nationals this year, it took out 2 cars both drivers were ok. I seen a TS car last year roll 10-12 times and go into flames he had minor burns. I seen a brand new dragster go to the scrap from this also. No sense is risking injury to yourself or others, accidents do happen.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service