Help my glide broke a tail shaft....

Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Default Help my glide broke a tail shaft....

I am trying to figure out why it broke so it doesnt happen again. The tailshaft cracked at the bottom right by where it bolts to the case. The car is solid with no flex. It has solid motor mounts and a rubber trans mount. I just put the car together and have made about 15 passes on it then it busted. It does have a vibration but doesnt seem major. Any ideas why it did it?

I did lower the car by moving the coil overs down 2 holes and now I am wondering if it may have thrown the pinion angle off. Its a ladder bar car.

Thanks for any input, I am trying to get ready for the Edgewater 5 granders this weekend.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:06 PM
DirkaDirka
RACING JUNKIE

How does the driveshaft measure out whne the car is level? I had about the same prob with a Ranchero I had and come to find out the driveshaft was what kept breaking the front bellhousing and tail housing on that car. Not saying that your is too short but it could be a lil too long and hitting the tail housing on your tranny. Just a thought.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 AM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

When I went to take the busted tail shaft off I noticed that there was only 3 out of the 5 bolts holding it on. 1 on top and 2 on the bottom. It busted both tabs off the bottom. I re-engineered the crossmember and put all 5 bolts in it should be fine now I think...
Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 AM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Josh,

I missed this. Sorry. I know that we have cases at the shop and some expert advise if you need any help this winter.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 AM
I972Nova
EXPERT BUILDER

Thanks Shawn, I put it back together and made 11 passes at Edgewater and all is well. If I keep the car I am going to put a midplate in it. It doesnt flex, but drivestrain could use the support I am sure.

I am gonna change the oil so its ready to go for Bowling Green in a couple weeks, gonna see if I cant mess up and win some good money with it.