Strongest starter and flywheel

Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM
  #1  
Birddog95
Member
MASTER JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 49
Default Strongest starter and flywheel

Having problems this weekend with turning over a hot motor, we ended up chewing up the teeth on our flywheel. What is the strongest starter/ flywheel combo out there? I have a B&M flex in this car (same in our old car) and the flywheel just didn't seem to last. I put in a billet CSR flywheel in our old car(before we sold the car) that seemed to work well.
Birddog95 is offline  
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
  #2  
Birddog95
Member
MASTER JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 49
Default

Sorry, just realized I posted in the wrong forum section ops:
Birddog95 is offline  
Old 06-15-2009, 02:20 PM
  #3  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Strongest starter and flywheel

Originally Posted by Birddog95
Having problems this weekend with turning over a hot motor, we ended up chewing up the teeth on our flywheel. What is the strongest starter/ flywheel combo out there? I have a B&M flex in this car (same in our old car) and the flywheel just didn't seem to last. I put in a billet CSR flywheel in our old car(before we sold the car) that seemed to work well.
I went through a bunch of them high dollar and non-high dollar, there is usually a reason it chews up flexplates not a cheap flexplate issue.

Do you have a start retard or does the voltage drop off a lot when cranking ?
hammertime is offline  
Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 PM
  #4  
Birddog95
Member
MASTER JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 49
Default

Another guy asked me about the start retard (I don't have one) but I never thought about the volt drop. I better check the size of wire to the starter and volts during cranking- Thanks!
Birddog95 is offline  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 PM
  #5  
fla1976
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
fla1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,535
Default Starter

Are you running a Ford solenoid in the starter system? If not, it may be a good investment. It allows more current to flow to the starter. Just a suggestion.
fla1976 is offline  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 PM
  #6  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Originally Posted by Birddog95
Another guy asked me about the start retard (I don't have one) but I never thought about the volt drop. I better check the size of wire to the starter and volts during cranking- Thanks!
I went through this last year, before testing everything and finding a voltage issue wasnt helping matters.
hammertime is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 AM
  #7  
THERATTLER
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
THERATTLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: LICKSKILLET , MISSISSIPPI
Posts: 1,473
Default

I USED TO GO THROUGH THOSE MINI STARTERS LIKE CRAZY , THEN I RELIZED I HAD A START RETARD BUILT INTO MY 7AL3 , I HOOKED IT UP AND HAVN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE...PAUL
THERATTLER is offline  
Old 06-17-2009, 08:59 AM
  #8  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Originally Posted by maniac
I USED TO GO THROUGH THOSE MINI STARTERS LIKE CRAZY , THEN I RELIZED I HAD A START RETARD BUILT INTO MY 7AL3 , I HOOKED IT UP AND HAVN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE...PAUL
very suprising, being the al3 has 25degrees start timing pulled out usually causes tons of issues instead of helps.
hammertime is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 AM
  #9  
chevyfireball
Senior Member
MASTER BUILDER
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Napier, New Zealand
Posts: 230
Default

My old 6AL had a start retard. real easy to set. Motor turned over like a street car.
chevyfireball is offline  
Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 AM
  #10  
dparker
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hobbs, NM
Posts: 842
Default

Maybe they get more time to cool down. Mine will start better cold with the start retard but will kick back when its hot. Since I start more after its warmed up I don't run mine.
dparker is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service