HELP alternator question???????

Old 04-19-2009, 05:36 AM
whitey70ss
MASTER BUILDER

Default HELP alternator question???????

I'm putting together my 70 chevelle and cant seem to get the alternator to charge I have a big red wire that comes off the back post on the alternator it goes to the battery then there is a blue and white wire that goes to the top push on connectors ive tried them both ways and it still doesent charge?? I was told to unhook the blue and white and take a jumper and run off the back post to the left push on terminal to excite the regulator and that still dont work?? HELP thank you!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:35 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Do you know for sure that the alternator is not charging or it's just not showing at the gage?, you lay a metal screw driver or a feeler gage blade up close to the center rear bearing and if it's charging it will suck the screw driver blade up against the bearing cap, it's the fastest way i know to check if the alternator is charging.

JMO

Zip.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:58 PM
whitey70ss
MASTER BUILDER

thanks zipper. I didnt have it wired right . I looked at my buddys truck and checked the wires with a test light. I only had a jumper to the back post and no switched power to the other. ops: Its charging 13 volts now! Thanks for the response you guys are very helpful on here.