Gas or Alcohol

Old 04-11-2009, 09:05 AM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Gas or Alcohol

Wanting to buy a dragster to run Quick Rod. I have always ran gas, but was wanting to know what is the advantages or disadvantages of running alcohol? I will also be using a throttle stop. Is one more consistant then the other? I know alcohol runs cooler, is that a problem in a dragster and not being able to warm it up? Thanks
Old 04-11-2009, 03:49 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by markthespark
Wanting to buy a dragster to run Quick Rod. I have always ran gas, but was wanting to know what is the advantages or disadvantages of running alcohol? I will also be using a throttle stop. Is one more consistant then the other? I know alcohol runs cooler, is that a problem in a dragster and not being able to warm it up? Thanks
Running all out I prefer alcohol. It runs cooler, faster, and more consistant. Alcohol is highly corrosive and is higher maintance than racing fuel. But if your going to be running a throttlestop I would advise running gas carb, so that you can run a nice under the carb throttlestop. I'm running a terminator on alcohol and I have to run a inline throttlestop. I think that the under the carb duel butterfly TS is best.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

I am a fan of alky but it depends on a couple of things. What size motor. Is the motor going to respond better to gas or alky. I think you had mentioned in another topic 565. I would go alky with a Rupert carb and put one of Sunset Racecrafts throttle stops underneath of it.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Gas or Alcohol

Iused to build my own engines, but now there are so many goog engine builders that build motors pretty cheap. The motor will be 565 or bigger. I was thinking I would maybe run Top Dragster every now and then. I have heard of the Rupert carbs before as being one of the best. Is the Sunset Racecrafts throttle stop a dual butterfly type?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Scroll down the page. Dual butterfly with built in spacer

http://www.sunsetracecraft.com/
Old 04-11-2009, 07:46 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

not to mention that alcohol is around 1/4 the price of racing gas
Old 04-12-2009, 06:22 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by shawnp
Scroll down the page. Dual butterfly with built in spacer

http://www.sunsetracecraft.com/

that thing is bad to the bone !

I am a alky fan and APD makes a great throttle stop carb to go along with that throttle stop, Sunset sells APDs also. Way to many upsides to the alky for me, cooler, faster as consistent and no more work at all.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 PM
markthespark
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Thanks for all the info. You guys have been alot of help. I guess I will be going with the alcohol. I heard it was alot cheaper, and running cooler, but was,nt sure on the consistacy. I think I will take the advise and order everything thing from Sunset. THANKS AGAIN, you guys are real helpful.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:51 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Ask for Tracy Dennis, he owns Sunset. You can tell him Dean Parker sent ya if you want.