i have a serious question....

Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

Default i have a serious question....

alright, my motor started knockin the other day, every thing is new though bearings rods pistons and all, so i pulled the motor and found that three of the oil punp bolts had vibated all the way out, meaning that thee was only one left holding it together, so i put some lock tight on them and put everything back together.
heres he question
can the oil pump cause the knocking i was hearing?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 PM
slickfuel
CRAFTSMAN

QUESTION IS,..WHAT IS CAUSING THE VIBRATION ?????
was the rotating assembl balanced correctly, etc,....
or was it not assembled professionaly

is it a 454 bbc ???
Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Oh boy does this post bring back some bad memories, I had a similar experience except mine ended in a destroyed engine. They were probably just lose from the oil pump manufactor (melling of mexico).
Since then I always remove the oil pump cover bolts and generously use red loctite on them. NOTE: They're usually lose or close to it.
The knocking probably was due to the loss of oil pressure, motors tend to do that when they dont have any oil pressure.
I also reccomend a great big low oil pressure warning light positioned at EYE level, another thing I learned tearing that motor up, no oil pressure kills motors in a hurry.
Goodluck, Cp
Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: i have a serious question....

Originally Posted by bowhay
heres he question
can the oil pump cause the knocking i was hearing?
Yes, when it doesn't pump any oil and it knocks a bearing out of the bottom end. I would pull the main caps at least and have a look.

Curtis
Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

yes the rotating assembly was balanced
and i checked the mains and few of the rod bearings and they all looked good
it almost sounded like the pump was rattleing around and hitting the oil pan
its a 350 sbc bored and stroked to a 385
Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Bowhay,
I hope that didn't sound like a smart*** answer. How long did this motor run? Glad you could hear it over the exaust. If you don't mind who's pump was this? I have always taken apart new pumps and checked the gear clearance to cap dimension making sure it is .002-.003. I run a machine shop so I know how guys will let tolerances wander. I hope nothing was hurt in your motor.

Curtis
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 AM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

it was just a stock replacement gm high volume pump
was intstalled about a year ago, and i just put it back in
i didnt check the clearance but i didnt think it was necessary beacuase it had run for the entire time that i have had the truck
i really dont know
i just hope that when i get all the electrical hooked back up i can start the motor and it wont knock
Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by doorracer
Bowhay,
I hope that didn't sound like a smart*** answer. How long did this motor run? Glad you could hear it over the exaust. If you don't mind who's pump was this? I have always taken apart new pumps and checked the gear clearance to cap dimension making sure it is .002-.003. I run a machine shop so I know how guys will let tolerances wander. I hope nothing was hurt in your motor.

Curtis
X2 & yes on clearance.Generally,(& I have always found) the clearances are greater than the desired dimension,I might add that I always gently deburr the gears also.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 PM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

I just added the part about checking the clearance as a std. course of prep that I do on a new pump. This also makes sure the bolts are tight when I put it back together. Sounds like the bolts must have been a little loose and I have heard that high volume pumps will the possibility of chatter or vibration. Not sure how true that is just things that I have heard through the years. I never run a high volume pump myself in a SBC, have never found the need for it with the clearances we run. I hope it doesn't knock also. Good luck.

Curtis
Old 03-11-2009, 08:06 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

What I would like to ask is, was there any metal in the bottom of the oil pan or in the oil filter?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service