sbc stock rod

Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 AM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

Default sbc stock rod

need to settle a debate. what rpm & hp will a sbc stock rod with arp bolts take?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:53 PM
chrisr
MASTER BUILDER

I ran stock rods with arp bolts in a 355 once. I drove it on the street (almost everyday) with 11:1 comp and had around 500 hp. At the track I ran it with a 250 shot and shifted at 8000. I put about 200 passes at the track and numerous street races on it over a 3 year period before it gave it up(the street races where back in the early 90's when I was yound and dumb but at least we were on a deserted dead end road) and then it spun a rod bearing not broke a rod or anything. I had the rods checked,risized and put them back in after rebuilding the motor but sold the car a little while later. I have had friends use stock rods and not have such luck so you never know.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:25 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I don't know i had a 406" 12.5 to one with pink rods and ARP bolts, i put about 20 passes on the motor running 7200 rpm shifting at 6800 no nitrous then switched to alcohol and a toilet bowl and went about 12 passes and broke a rod, funny thing it broke not on the beam but just above where rod bolt comes thru, i'm thinking not more than 550 HP in the motor. I know for 3 or $400.00 after market is the way to go, now B/BLK 804 rods are a different story.

JMO

Zip.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 AM
hink
EXPERT BUILDER

The later GM rods we redesigned back in the late 70's and have more material in that area on the later rods.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:36 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

RPM 7600

check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6TzQ0y-qY

in this truck is a 4 bolt main stock bottom end with hyperutectic pistons w/ arp bolts.

It was street raced almost every day and believe it or not it had well over 150 bottles of nitrous ran through it.

in the video the first short shot is when it ran low 10's with a 100 shot and a small 142 blower w/ 10lbs boost.

Knowing the life's end is about to come to the little small block that kicked so much as_ around town, the boys threw it on alky and nitro. It made 4 passes before it bit the dust. When watching the video listen to the different tones of the engine running on gas vs. alky and nitro

You can find it on youtube under top fuel s-10
heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot6TzQ0y-qY

My boys at time of video were 14 & 17

For the record the boys always did sh_t like this when I was away on business trips, I did not know about the video until 2 years ago They are now 22 & 25
Old 03-08-2009, 06:02 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

man, I thought my kids pulled pain in a s stunts when I am out!!! truck sounds like it wanted to fly :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Should have seen the look on their face when I came home and saw my highlift sitting on top my 1967 impala ss convertible with only 35000 miles on it. they thought they would just flaten it out and build a ramp to jump over it.

Or the time I came home and found a hugh ramp built in front of my house, yeah they thought they would jump that too

They even took my hayabusa and harley for several rides up and down the highway. Found the videos a few years later. doing burn outs and riding wheelies. What the heck were they thinking?

The only time they knew they would really be busted out was when I came home from a business trip and I would see 16 inch wide posi tracks in front of my house, yep they had the drag car out.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 AM
comet64
SHOW GUEST

Default stock rod

have to take into account how much the piston weighs , in grams . sbc superstockers with a 350 gram piston and 70 gram pin can and often turn 9000 in 1\4 mile runs. stock pistons and many after market piston are much heavier. so its not a real easey answer.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

In addition to the post above i will have to say they were early rods, the pistons were forged TRW's probably close to 600 gms and the crank was a stock nodular iron crank. Didn't know it broke, drove it back to the pits and someone saw oil comming out a hole in the pan. I saved and sold the crank, the block i still have today and am putting it together for a prostreet truck. i also sold 7 pistons and rods. I lost 1 piston i rod and bent 2 valves. I still have the track 1 heads also and they are going on the same 406" blk. but with H beams, Lonati pistons, and Eagle crank.

Zip.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:27 PM
MEMRACING62
RACING JUNKIE

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE INSIGHT ON THE STOCK RODS, I AM TRYING TO KEEP MONEY DOWN THIS SEASON AND HAVE FOUND WELL BUILD 355 TO KICK MY MALIBU DOWN THE TRACK THIS SEASON AND BUILDING IT THE WAY I WANT IT NEXT WINTER, I HAVE BOUGHT FROM THIS GUY IN PAST SO I SHOULD BE OK