Back half guys..what is the back spacing on your wheels?

Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 PM
bignastygs
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Back half guys..what is the back spacing on your wheels?

I am back halfing my 70 Skylark using a S&W A body kit and have the rear gear,tire size figured out. Now my dilemma is that S&W says to use wheels with 4 inch backspacing. I had a set of Buick Ralleys widened to 15x14 but they are 7 7/8 backspacing. Will I be in trouble here?? S&W have not returned my email stating if I can use these wheels. Just trying to get all the correct parts for a clean easy build. Opinions??
Old 02-18-2009, 04:06 PM
spib
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Back half guys..what is the back spacing on your wheels?

Originally Posted by bignastygs
I am back halfing my 70 Skylark using a S&W A body kit and have the rear gear,tire size figured out. Now my dilemma is that S&W says to use wheels with 4 inch backspacing. I had a set of Buick Ralleys widened to 15x14 but they are 7 7/8 backspacing. Will I be in trouble here?? S&W have not returned my email stating if I can use these wheels. Just trying to get all the correct parts for a clean easy build. Opinions??
they usually will tell you what size tire and wheel you can run, what width your rear end needs to be and width of rear frame back half
http://www.swracecars.com/

call the tech guy or email them again

S & W Racecars
11 Mennonite Church Rd.
Spring City PA 19475

Phone Numbers

Tech & Info: 610-948-7303
Orders Only: 1-800-523-3353
Fax: 610-948-7342
Engineering: 610-948-7303 ext 137
Advertising: 610-948-7303 ext 112

Sales Contacts
General Sales

Technical Information

Part Sales:
George Bojaciuk ext: 117
Randy Krause ext: 115
Lee Grinnell ext: 119
Candi Weney ext: 116

Sales Manager:
Tom Hoosigian ext: 126

Race Car Sales:
Scott Weney ext: 111
Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 AM
bignastygs
SENIOR BUILDER

I may be screwed...Here is the return email I received...

HI PAT, WE MAKE A LADDER BAR BACK HALF KIT. THE REAR HOUSING FOR THAT FRAME IS 38”1/4 HOUSING END TO HOUSING END.43”1/4 AXLE FLANGE TO AXLE FLANGE. WE CAN CHANGE THE REAR WIDTH BUT I DON’T KNOW IF WE CAN CHANGE IT TO WORK WITH YOUR WHEEL. YOU WOULD HAVE TO TAKE SOME MEASURMENTS AND SEE HOW WIDE THE REAR HAS TO BE AND WERE THE FRAME WILL END UP.THE FRAME MEASURMENTS ARE 27”5/8 OUTSIDE TO OUTSIDE. ANYTHING ELSE I CAN HELP YOU WITH LET ME NO. THANKS
Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 PM
PROST1969
SHOW GUEST

I have a 11inch b/s on my wheels. Now the fenders on my car have been pulled out so it looks nice. What I would do is get a few diff size wheels from your buddies and see. What is your rear housing size comes into play as well. Alot of mock up and look see. good luck with it
Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 AM
oneowner73
JOURNEYMAN

If you provide them with the proper dimensions just about any company building rear housings can give you what you need to make your wheels fit. The only problem that I could see running that much back spacing would be that to remove the wheels you would have to drop the rear end down. If that is not a problem just make sure that the rear brake hose is long enough that it does not have to be unhooked each time and make sure it is secured to keep it from being damaged.
Brian