Methanol Dominator jetting/ EGT Tuning help

Old 02-09-2009, 09:34 AM
  #1  
bs67rsss
Junior Member
APPRENTICE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wylie,TX.
Posts: 14
Default Methanol Dominator jetting/ EGT Tuning help

I have a 2880 lb. camaro with a 427 bbc .030 over 291 steel heads that have been worked, .710 roller cam,was told 13.5-1 comp. 4.56 gears. It runs 10.20 130 mph in the 1/4. 6.45 106 mph 1/8

I have pro systems 1050 dominator that came with 200,210 and 220 jets which I'm pretty sure that's way to rich.

I have also installed a egt meter.

I started out with 188 jets made 2 runs with egt of 1348 and 1342.
Changed jets to 192 and made 2 runs and both were 1350.
Then I went down to 184 jets and could only make one run because track was closing, the egt was 1240.


I made 5 run's and it was pretty consistent even with the wind. The last run was slower, 10.21 129 mph compared to 10.18,10.16 130mph 131mph

The question is am I heading in the right direction?

Thanks
bs67rsss is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 AM
  #2  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Methanol Dominator jetting/ EGT Tuning help

Originally Posted by bs67rsss
I have a 2880 lb. camaro with a 427 bbc .030 over 291 steel heads that have been worked, .710 roller cam,was told 13.5-1 comp. 4.56 gears. It runs 10.20 130 mph in the 1/4. 6.45 106 mph 1/8

I have pro systems 1050 dominator that came with 200,210 and 220 jets which I'm pretty sure that's way to rich.

I have also installed a egt meter.

I started out with 188 jets made 2 runs with egt of 1348 and 1342.
Changed jets to 192 and made 2 runs and both were 1350.
Then I went down to 184 jets and could only make one run because track was closing, the egt was 1240.


I made 5 run's and it was pretty consistent even with the wind. The last run was slower, 10.21 129 mph compared to 10.18,10.16 130mph 131mph

The question is am I heading in the right direction?

Thanks
The reason the egt was higher with the bigger jets is the fuel was burning in the header causing the high EGT. I still think your EGT is to high and you should keep going. You would benfit from a 950 4150 over the 1050 dominator. The 1050 will work but less fuel will be required, belt drive or electric fuel pump, and what fuel pressure you running ? Did you buy this carb new from pro system ?
hammertime is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 AM
  #3  
bs67rsss
Junior Member
APPRENTICE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wylie,TX.
Posts: 14
Default

The motor came with the dominator intake, and Pro systems said the dom. is the way to go. I have a magnafuel 500 electric with the pro systems regulator w/ vacum. Fuel press. is 7 at idle and 9 at WOT just as prosystems wants. I did purchase this new.
bs67rsss is offline  
Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM
  #4  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

If they sent it with a 200+ jet they had issues from the start. Keep taking fuel away from it to get the egt down around the 1150 mark is where it should be the most consistent, I doubt it'll be the fastest there though.

Makes complete sense to keep taking fuel away being its burning in the header causing a high egt. I'd bet you'll end up with around a 168ish jet.

Worked on a pro systems 1150 alky carb this past season it had 210 jets in it from them it was a on a 582 but was way to much jet, we backed it off to 196's I set the floats and fuel pressure and it went a tenth faster next pass. I am impressed with the gas stuff they do but not yet with the alky stuff.
hammertime is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 AM
  #5  
bs67rsss
Junior Member
APPRENTICE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wylie,TX.
Posts: 14
Default

Do the air bleeds need to changed when I go lower? What egt temp is too lean and damaging?

I'm looking for the most consistent not the fastest, so I appreciate the help.
bs67rsss is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM
  #6  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Originally Posted by bs67rsss
Do the air bleeds need to changed when I go lower? What egt temp is too lean and damaging?

I'm looking for the most consistent not the fastest, so I appreciate the help.
Do you know what air bleeds it has now ? I would consider 1225 lean IMO but not going to hurt things damaging so your fine, I run mine @ 1050 becaues thats where its consistent and fast. With carb I ran them around 1100-1150 max, so you have some more to keep going.

When you start taking jet away, if the egt starts going back up you know yours now starting to lean it out, all egts are different location they are placed also makes a difference.
hammertime is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 PM
  #7  
bs67rsss
Junior Member
APPRENTICE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wylie,TX.
Posts: 14
Default

Here is the info from the build sheet for both primary and secondary.


...............Baseline........... lean......rich
Main Jet.......210...............200.......220
Hi air.............32.................32........22
Idle air..........36.................50........28
Idle feed.......60-6

I going to the 1/8th mile track this weekend, Do I take a 100 off the egt max?
bs67rsss is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 AM
  #8  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Originally Posted by bs67rsss
Here is the info from the build sheet for both primary and secondary.


...............Baseline........... lean......rich
Main Jet.......210...............200.......220
Hi air.............32.................32........22
Idle air..........36.................50........28
Idle feed.......60-6

I going to the 1/8th mile track this weekend, Do I take a 100 off the egt max?
After seeing this I'll not buy a pro system alky carb ever.

Take jet away untill you get to 1150ish egt and see how it backs up a # up. I think still think you'll end up around 168-172 jet.
hammertime is offline  
Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM
  #9  
bs67rsss
Junior Member
APPRENTICE
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wylie,TX.
Posts: 14
Default

Thanks for the help.

When I decided to purchase the carb, I was going with either Rupert or Pro systems, I saw my buddy being real consistent with his pro systems. Oh well.
bs67rsss is offline  
Old 03-13-2009, 07:56 AM
  #10  
Superpro399z
Member
JOURNEYMAN
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galveston,Indiana
Posts: 33
Default

What jets is your buddy running and did he have any problems?
Superpro399z is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service