Alchol carb help

Old 08-19-2008, 12:56 PM
  #1  
nova2206
Member
MASTER JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 43
Default Alchol carb help

I have a 3550 lb 67 Chevelle with a 477ci BBC with a 400th and a 411 gear.It runs awesome but burns way to much alchol, sometimes 4 gallons a pass,1/8th mile,It looks to be about a 850 carb and would like to know if anyone has any idea of what jets should be in it? It dynoed 715 horses at the wheel..I changed the oil after about 10 passes and it had about 3 gallons of alchol in it.


thanks
nova2206 is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
  #2  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Alchol carb help

Originally Posted by nova2206
I have a 3550 lb 67 Chevelle with a 477ci BBC with a 400th and a 411 gear.It runs awesome but burns way to much alchol, sometimes 4 gallons a pass,1/8th mile,It looks to be about a 850 carb and would like to know if anyone has any idea of what jets should be in it? It dynoed 715 horses at the wheel..I changed the oil after about 10 passes and it had about 3 gallons of alchol in it.


thanks

What brand is it ?

168-174 jet is where I'd be, 1 1/4 turns out on idle screws. Your using wayy to much alky for sure.
hammertime is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
  #3  
curtisreed
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
curtisreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: KIEFER, OK.
Posts: 1,311
Default

468 W/850 Rupert 168'S. Same engine w/ 950 HOLLEY HP 172'S. Right around 700hp. Maybe 2 gallons 1/8 mile. Long drive back to the pits from the end at our track. Look real hard at the needle and seats, regulator all of that. Is this a belt drive pump or electric?

Curtis
curtisreed is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM
  #4  
nova2206
Member
MASTER JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 43
Default

It's a Holly, I know the front has 180s but havn't took the back off, there either the same or bigger..The system is fed through electric pumps.It has APD fuel blocks so where can I get jets for these?
nova2206 is offline  
Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 PM
  #5  
cepx111
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,044
Default

#3 gallons plus the oil? WTH? You must had to have been real close to hydralicing that motor man. You got lucky on that one.

Slap some 168's in that carb square and be done. >Cp
cepx111 is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 03:22 AM
  #6  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Originally Posted by nova2206
It's a Holly, I know the front has 180s but havn't took the back off, there either the same or bigger..The system is fed through electric pumps.It has APD fuel blocks so where can I get jets for these?
It has apd fuel blocks ? APD does use a holley main body are you sure its not a APD carb ? Is it over powering the needle and seats leaking into the motor at idle ? The carb will take a std holley jet. I'd put 168;s in both and go.
hammertime is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 AM
  #7  
nova2206
Member
MASTER JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 43
Default

Yeah it's a holly with apd blocks..I'll try to find some jets..
nova2206 is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 AM
  #8  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Originally Posted by nova2206
Yeah it's a holly with apd blocks..I'll try to find some jets..
odds are its a APD then because they dont sell just the blocks. Where is the idle screws set at ?
hammertime is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 12:01 PM
  #9  
nova2206
Member
MASTER JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 43
Default

No it clearly says HOLLEY on both ends..Probably go to gas, I have a fairly new 1000+ Holley ready to go,Thanks for the help.
nova2206 is offline  
Old 08-20-2008, 12:10 PM
  #10  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Originally Posted by nova2206
No it clearly says HOLLEY on both ends..Probably go to gas, I have a fairly new 1000+ Holley ready to go,Thanks for the help.
On the sides of the metering blocks does it say APD and on the carb itself says holley ?

we can get this right if u want to work with it.
Answers the next few questions
Fuel Pressure
Timing
Air bleeds
Idle Mixture Screw setting
rear jet
hammertime is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service