oil pump suggestions ?

Old 05-02-2008, 05:54 PM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

Default oil pump suggestions ?

I`m running an Aluminum BBC, I`ve got some issues with oil pressure, we dyno ed a couple of days ago, and it shows that my oil pressure drops after the 4000 - 5000 rpm range, I know with the aluminum block that it expands when it gets warm, and I loose oil pressure, I was thinking of installing a pump outside the engine to control oil and vacuum, I have to change or alter the pan, and run a remote filter,,anyone know who has complete kits, or is running this,,,its not really a dry system, just an exterior pump,,so I dont think I need a tank,,,any feedback would be appreciated thanx
Old 05-03-2008, 08:12 AM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

Run a Titan pump. You may need to modify the pan a little, not sure on a BBC. What pump are you running?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:25 AM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

I`m running a melling high volume pump
Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

If you bought the pump within the last year get it out. Read through the post below, casting quality has dropped and the gears are all powdered metal. Titan and CVR seem to be the only ones using billet gears. Even Moroso uses powdered gears.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6868
Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 PM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

For internal wet sump systems I use only a Titan Pump and am a WD for them as well.

Now days oil pumps can get scarey. The old Mellings of days old are gone forever. That CVR doen't look bad at all for a Spur Gear Pump. I just can't see it when a little more gets you a first class pump from Titan. Which is made to your pan depth after you order it. Well the pumps are made but the pickups are attached according to depth needed after they are ordered and each pump is bench tested before it leaves for shipping.

Ed
Old 05-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

What about the Melling selects, with the billet gears?

Frank
Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
jmarksdragster
RACING JUNKIE

What you saw was an old catalog. NONE of the Melling pumps have steel gears anymore. I e-mailed them directly to confirm this.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Cogburn
APPRENTICE

No Melling pumps have been made with billet gears since sometime in 2006.

The selects too! None have billet gears, Melling makes absolutely NO pumps with billet gears. Some places are slow on the advertising but there are no more billet gear melling pumps.

All Melling pumps have gears made out of pressed together powdered mystery metal stuff and are pretty much useless for serious engines.

This also goes for MOROSO, MILODON, Shumann, ETC., no billet gears. If they say they do you had better take a close look at the gears.

CVR has a billet gear pump.

http://www.cvrproducts.com/#
Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 PM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

I bought a Sportsman Titan for the new motor. Had to cut some of the pan corner out.

But, on priming the engine, I noticed a SIGNIFICANT reduction of effort by the drill over the melling pump (mine had steel gears from years ago).

Old 05-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

ONEBADGMC...that might leak. :P