Can heads be too Big

Old 04-22-2008, 05:25 PM
  #1  
blaserman
Member
JOURNEYMAN
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 30
Default Can heads be too Big

This was just an information Question. Some of the Head manufactors
web site quote compression ratios for there heads . Lets say 632 cu
10-1 compression 714-750 cam shaft soild roller. cam 360 head or bigger be too much.
blaserman is offline  
Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 PM
  #2  
Tod74
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,143
Default

yes heads can be too big....helmets only come in so many sizes.
Tod74 is offline  
Old 04-23-2008, 04:29 AM
  #3  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: Can heads be too Big

Originally Posted by blaserman
This was just an information Question. Some of the Head manufactors
web site quote compression ratios for there heads . Lets say 632 cu
10-1 compression 714-750 cam shaft soild roller. cam 360 head or bigger be too much.
I'd tell you that head is perfect :lol:

Really thought many disagree with me but myself and a few locals keep going back to a huge head on smaller motors and they just down right fly ! I've now did this 2 times 548 with dart 410's and 468 with dart 355's, a good friend of mine put dart 360's on his 496 all 3 motors really ran good better then anything around here with the same size motor and smaller head.
hammertime is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 09:51 AM
  #4  
nofear57
Senior Member
EXPERT BUILDER
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: potash country
Posts: 262
Default

That being said,the carb and cam have to work together also.

Did you guys have to try different carbs and cams with the low compression,big heads and big cubes to make things work together :?: Was there a fine point(small window) for the carb and cam :?:
nofear57 is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 PM
  #5  
olds48
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montvale, VA
Posts: 1,431
Default

Originally Posted by Tod74
yes heads can be too big....helmets only come in so many sizes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Heads are never too big,it's the motor that is under them is just too small :wink:
olds48 is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 08:17 PM
  #6  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Originally Posted by nofear69
That being said,the carb and cam have to work together also.

Did you guys have to try different carbs and cams with the low compression,big heads and big cubes to make things work together :?: Was there a fine point(small window) for the carb and cam :?:
we did not stuck a cam/carb that anyone would with the size motors would run
hammertime is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 10:36 PM
  #7  
Tod74
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,143
Default

Originally Posted by olds48
Originally Posted by Tod74
yes heads can be too big....helmets only come in so many sizes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Heads are never too big,it's the motor that is under them is just too small :wink:
I like how you think.
Tod74 is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 AM
  #8  
olds48
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montvale, VA
Posts: 1,431
Default

Originally Posted by Tod74
Originally Posted by olds48
Originally Posted by Tod74
yes heads can be too big....helmets only come in so many sizes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Heads are never too big,it's the motor that is under them is just too small :wink:
I like how you think.
olds48 is offline  
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service