help with lean carb.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
  #1  
sst4356
Junior Member
SHOW GUEST
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Default help with lean carb.

ok here is my problem other than not having enough cash to buy a apd carb. Iam running a 1050 hp holly carb. on alcohol . 540 inch BB chevy. and it is way lean even with 200 jets. is there any way I can fatten up this carb.
sst4356 is offline  
Old 01-21-2008, 11:04 PM
  #2  
cepx111
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,044
Default

Is this a alky carb or a gas carb with just bigger jets? I'm no alky carb man but I'm sure there's more to it than just throwing some bigger jets in the carb, maybe some of the alky carb guys will chime in here and give you the low down.
Goodluck, Charles
cepx111 is offline  
Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 PM
  #3  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default Re: help with lean carb.

Originally Posted by sst4356
ok here is my problem other than not having enough cash to buy a apd carb. Iam running a 1050 hp holly carb. on alcohol . 540 inch BB chevy. and it is way lean even with 200 jets. is there any way I can fatten up this carb.
Going to need a few more things, has anything else been done to this carb ? who converted it to alky holley ? You are sure its lean and not so rich that its giving you lean conditions ? Tell me more about the motor, fuel system, fuel pressure maybe we can come up with something.
hammertime is offline  
Old 01-21-2008, 11:22 PM
  #4  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Also would like to know timing you are running.
hammertime is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 AM
  #5  
sst4356
Junior Member
SHOW GUEST
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Default

This is a out the box hp holly ach. carb. Friend has a apd and I tryed it on my engine and ran just like it is suppose to do. fuel pump is a blp belt pump with 9lbs pressure. power valves has been removed and block offs installed. timing is at 32 . engine will heat up just idling, with apd carb. almost impossible to build heat. Thanks for help
sst4356 is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM
  #6  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

You can get jets over the 200 range for a alky carb its not common to use them if the carbs are right but its for sure been done. Where are your idle mixture screws set at ?
hammertime is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 01:04 PM
  #7  
OneBadGMC
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Belleville, IL
Posts: 658
Default

Originally Posted by sst4356
This is a out the box hp holly ach. carb. Friend has a apd and I tryed it on my engine and ran just like it is suppose to do. fuel pump is a blp belt pump with 9lbs pressure. power valves has been removed and block offs installed. timing is at 32 . engine will heat up just idling, with apd carb. almost impossible to build heat. Thanks for help
Sounds like it's too lean on the idle circuits, and that it has the wrong air bleeds in it.

Holly shows the 0-80586 is the only 1050 carb calibrated for methanol out of the box. Is that the p/n you have?

http://www.holley.com/types/4500%20Dominator%20HP.asp
OneBadGMC is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 PM
  #8  
sst4356
Junior Member
SHOW GUEST
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Default

I was told that 200 jets is the max jets that stock metering plates flow. yes that is the same part no. that I have . it also gains heat thru the run also, leave at 140 degrees 180 at finish line 1/8 mile. before you say not enough rad. ok with apd carb.
sst4356 is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
  #9  
hammertime
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coldwater, MI
Posts: 2,998
Default

Originally Posted by sst4356
I was told that 200 jets is the max jets that stock metering plates flow. yes that is the same part no. that I have . it also gains heat thru the run also, leave at 140 degrees 180 at finish line 1/8 mile. before you say not enough rad. ok with apd carb.
Might be worth saving up to send to apd, I've seen very few holley out of box alky carbs that work right. Sounds terrible lean but maybe its so rich that its giving you a lean condition. You run a egt ?
hammertime is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 05:07 PM
  #10  
lively
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
lively's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ILLINOIS
Posts: 2,191
Default

DUUUUH---YOU KNOW IF THE CARB IS LEANING TO MUCH --[YOU COULD ALWAYS JACK UP ONE SIDE OF THE CAR TO MAKE IT LEVEL!!!!]--DUUUUUH :shock: :roll: 8) :lol: :lol: --LOL LOL---LIVELY
lively is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service