340 T/A block

Old 07-28-2018, 08:37 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Default 340 T/A block

Does anyone know if it is possible to repair a block that has been blown? I have the original block for my AAR that threw a rod years ago, the rod did not go through the side of the block but it did beat the cam causing the cam to come out in pieces and crack the bridging along the bottom of the lifter valley. Are there shops now that specialize in repairing rare blocks?
scott11224 is offline  
Old 11-07-2018, 03:35 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1

YES,They can repair most anything.Ifyou have it welded,be sure to have an old cam and crank in the block"installed.IF the Mig weld it with 80 or 90 sd2 wire,very high nickle content! then have it stress relieved twice,in a shop that specializes in the expensive but proper way of taking it up to the correct temp in steps then back down in steps.IF you can not turn the crank or cam it is warped. NOT for sure a big problem now.If they are a good repair shop they will weld a little here then some place different,constantly moving keepin the block warm.Home tis helps.An X block is considered an acceptable replacement. OF course,me I cheated ,Ibought an after market taller block,ground all the out side numbers off it,machined the ones out of my T/A block,welded them on.Good luck!,Mike
mikesproformance is offline  
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -