Scam? Is it safe?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:39 PM
thumpinhard25
SHOW GUEST

Default Scam? Is it safe?

Hi guys, about to make my first purchase from RJ and looking at spending 4k. First the seller accepts PayPal, I do have a cell phone number that I called and got his actual voice voicemail, and area code
Matchs his location. I can not inspect the item since it's 2,000 miles away, however he's agreed to ship. How do I know if I paypal him that he will actually ship the motor? What are my options for getting my money back if he doesn't? I plan to use my Amex and PayPal. The buyer seems legit, but a few things Don't rub me right. First he offered to take money off right away, he also offered to pay shipping even though he had no idea where I live. While I was texting him I called his number, got his voice mail. He told me his wife was asleep next to him so he couldn't talk. ( it's was 7:45pm) But would be free to talk on the morning. Also, asked where he races, name and car number. Said all over California, Nevada, Arizona. Numbers 11 and 7, and he's had different drivers. ( didn't give me an name.). Guy says he got out or racing so needs to sell motor asap. Deal almost seems to good to be true. When I asked his name later he gave me Mitch gragson. ( Mitch does match name on voice mail). I don't know how to check to see how long he's been on racing junk? His seller name is str8hate . Any Advice? It's my first motor and my first time dealing with racing junk. Hate to get screwed over. Thanks guys.

Last edited by thumpinhard25; 04-13-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:12 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

http://www.racingjunk.com/Circle-Track/182679300/358ci-Brodix-head-14-1-compression-roller-engine.html+
He hasnt been a RJ member for more than a year
If it sounds to good to be true, it is
I found the ad and yes, that is one hell of deal
I would walk away...

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 04-14-2016, 08:24 AM
thumpinhard25
SHOW GUEST

Thanks harbone. So I'm having a buddy who is a long time modified driver give him a call here in about an hour and see what he thinks.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 AM
thumpinhard25
SHOW GUEST

How would a scam work through PayPal? I have a PayPal invoice, PayPal says if item is not shipped they return money. Seems pretty safe, am I missing something?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM
thumpinhard25
SHOW GUEST

Newest update. The guy doesn't exsist online. I can't find anything on the seller. Finally got him to give me a track where his car ran at ( since he's had multiple drivers but doesn't race himself). Justin Hughes #7 open wheel modifieds is what I was told. Searching his name there's nothing. Searching his tracks last ran at canyon speedway and cocopah shows nothing. Every driver I know a a simple Google of their name and car number shows results, name and modified shows results. I got nothing. Told him I found this odd, but maybe it's a Texas thing. Asked him for 2 things, a picture of his drivers license ( or piece of mail with name and address, and a picture of the motor with my name or today's date written on a piece of paper in the photo. If he could provide me with those 2 things I'll buy immediatly. He got defensive and told me he's not jumping through a bunch of hoops. Later told me he would be at the shop at 4pm and would try to get some pictures if it's not sold. He texted me as I type this and just told me he's the 2nd cousin to Noah gragson #7 Of nascar k&n proseries.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

If the seller asks you to send the money as a "gift" to avoid fees is one way
The other is he takes the money and closes his account right after

As close to "Normal" as I can get...