engine crooked

Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 AM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default engine crooked

getting close to finishing my car . front of valve cover is 1/2 inch closer on driver side than pass. side and also a little higher i wouldn't have noticed but it's close to touching. when i installed the motor mounts the driver side didn't quite line up so i drilled the hole in the driver side mount about a 1/4 inch lower and in to make it fit i don't know if this thru it off or not will the motor mount being off a little hurt any thing tranny mount was fine but holes were slotted in tranny mount thanks zano
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I think you should take it back outt and Replace the mount you drilled and put it back in corectly. If it has stock type mounts it should have fit..sometimes you just have to work at it to get it lined up.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:07 AM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

i tried for a couple hours they are energy suspension mounts i figured it's because of the merlin block it didn't shift it forward any but i gave the measurements to summit of the old mounts and they looked the same i can't see why it would matter.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 AM
lively
RACING JUNKIE

IF IT WAS STRAIGHT BEFORE !!!---IT SHOULD BE STRAIGHT NOW!!!!---TAKE IT BACK OFF AND REMEASURE YOUR OLD MOUNTS---MAYBE YOU GOT THE MEASUREMENTS WRONG----YOU DON'T WANT TO COBBLE UP THE MOUNTS AT ALL [IF THEY CAME APART UNDER POWER IT COULD GET VERY CRAZY ops: ops: ops: ]----MY 2 CENTS WORTH----LIVELY
Old 02-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by zano
i tried for a couple hours they are energy suspension mounts i figured it's because of the merlin block it didn't shift it forward any but i gave the measurements to summit of the old mounts and they looked the same i can't see why it would matter.
Had a GM block in it before but now I have a Merlin lll block in my Nova and it fit the stock mounting location.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:13 AM
edvancedengines
DYNO OPERATOR

Location: VA Hospital, Dallas, Tx (214 302 1924) cell-972-464-7400

Todd,
If you had a GM Big Block in it before monted with a stock type of mount, then the Merlin should be exactly the same mounting.

If you had a GM Small Block in it, that is the difference. GM Frame mounts for the Big Block and the Small block are different.

What kind of car and what kind of mounts were working with what kind of engine?

As was said at times you have to struggle some to get things to line up right. Loosening motor mounts to the frame helps at times. Raising the car higher so the engine can tilt more when going in helps at times if you are installing with tranny.

There are more than one type of motor mounts that look the same too.

Check your new motor mount part number and see if they are for correct engine. Check to be sure that motor mount will match with your frame mounts.

Ed
Old 02-18-2008, 11:29 AM
zano
JUNIOR BUILDER

i' starting to worry so i called energy the company that built the mounts it's only the rear hole i had to drill he said probably the mount on the car was welded in a little crooked and the original rubber mounts flexed enough to get the bolt in . and said it would not hurt anything. the car is a 41 willys outlaw body and frame thanks zano