Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Big block or Small block

Old 08-13-2007, 11:09 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by zipper06
Hey Wesley,

(quote:}
(Well I got my suit on an just cranked mine and sucked up two small block you all stay back I am going to the line.)

We got a 66 nova just like yours over here at Twin Cities owned by LJ Jorden that runs 8.30's to 8.40's with a s/blk with a toilet bowl all day long.

Zip
Zip if I ever get mine running maybe one day I can run over and check you guy's out when it cools down some. I would like to meet you in person and check out the hotrod. I am hoping to run some numbers like that if they will let me go down the track.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Wes, you will get it runnig and i would love to see you over here. We have a couple bad ass cars over here including a 1949 ford pickup (OUCH!! to the chassis builders on here) with the original frame and a wooden bed it looks like the (salad dressing)Hidden Ranch delivery truck(owned by a friend that's affectionly called Ears) nick named that because one day he ran 8.10 and didn't pull the shoot. When asked how he ever got around the shutoff road he said i just stuck my head out and my ears slowed it down.(hehe he does have big ears)
No kiddin this truck was owned by my best friends dad in 1969 when Ears bought it. I have pics. when my friend and his sister was like 10 yrs. old, it was go to work truck with a 396" and he used to race it on sat. nite.
One day i'll post all the pics. and some runs in a video of the truck. It now has a 632" with a ton of nitrous and has run 7.91 at 191mph at twin cities.

Zip.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:58 AM
oldtimer
APPRENTICE

Currently I run a BBC. In an effort to cut weight and go faster I will be going to a small block next season. Love them small blocks.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:45 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by oldtimer
Currently I run a BBC. In an effort to cut weight and go faster I will be going to a small block next season. Love them small blocks.
yes but isn't that like saying i am going on a diet to loose weight,,so i guess i will cut off my leg?...lol....
why not keep the BBC and remove weight else where on the car ?

thanks
Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-14-2007, 05:22 AM
tommynos
JUNIOR BUILDER

the question for me is "how fast do you want to go"?the next step is how much do you have to spend....i can build a 10 second small block cheaper than a big block...but then again i could be wrong,as ive never built a bbc,but this is what ive heard....?

he may want to eliminate all that needless weight(bbc :lol: )and go fast enough with a sbc...

p.s.....small blocks are winning :lol:
Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

ok we can settle this debate fairly easy if we use the HP vs Body weight theory...( leave the unknown out of it such as hooking up etc...)

With all the on-line calculators to determine ET'S and MPH...We can narrow this down....

lets use RETAIL pricing on the parts for sake of argument...

now imgaine we have the same ( identical car) 69 camaro 10 inch tire car that weighs 3400 with driver......Keep in mind eveything is the same throughout car,,,even the driver... ( for the sake of agrument)

Our target HP goal is 900hp...( someone out there please find us one of those fancy charts to figure how fast we will run,,with 900 hp at 3400lbs)

next figure how much it will take to build a 900 hp BBC,,,,,and then how much it would take to build a 900 HP sbc........

lets keep it fair..naturally aspirated on both sides..can't be puttin blowers and turbo's on small blocks unless you allow it on the BBC.

So do some figuring on this...i can already tell you that you gonna need a minimum of an 18 degree Small block with exotic heads ( sb2 etc...)...i can already tell you that a convential head BBC will make 900hp no problems...

so lets start figuring.... SO the question is........can you build a 10 second small block cheaper than a 10 second BBC...i say no....what i mean by 10 second et's is 10.0 or teens...NOT 10.90'S...

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 AM
mcracecars
EXPERT BUILDER

i can build a 10 second small block cheaper than a big block..
Ok, pardon me, I misunderstood, only 10 sec cars here is it,? I thought you small block guys were SERIOUS about going fast :lol: :lol:

You small block guys can go and play with your little toy motors... and leave the real hp to the real men with the biggin's :shock: :lol: :lol:

disclaimer.... the above is posted in fun and jest and is no way representitive of how i really feel about small block motors or the guys that own and run them.... : :shock:
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 AM
camaro74454
JUNIOR BUILDER

For now..but don't get too happy....As far as building a cheaper sb, I think hp cost the same no matter waht engine you are building
Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 AM
tommynos
JUNIOR BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
ok we can settle this debate fairly easy if we use the HP vs Body weight theory...( leave the unknown out of it such as hooking up etc...)

With all the on-line calculators to determine ET'S and MPH...We can narrow this down....

lets use RETAIL pricing on the parts for sake of argument...

now imgaine we have the same ( identical car) 69 camaro 10 inch tire car that weighs 3400 with driver......Keep in mind eveything is the same throughout car,,,even the driver... ( for the sake of agrument)

Our target HP goal is 900hp...( someone out there please find us one of those fancy charts to figure how fast we will run,,with 900 hp at 3400lbs)

next figure how much it will take to build a 900 hp BBC,,,,,and then how much it would take to build a 900 HP sbc........

lets keep it fair..naturally aspirated on both sides..can't be puttin blowers and turbo's on small blocks unless you allow it on the BBC.

So do some figuring on this...i can already tell you that you gonna need a minimum of an 18 degree Small block with exotic heads ( sb2 etc...)...i can already tell you that a convential head BBC will make 900hp no problems...

so lets start figuring.... SO the question is........can you build a 10 second small block cheaper than a 10 second BBC...i say no....what i mean by 10 second et's is 10.0 or teens...NOT 10.90'S...

Brian
i love the disclaimer obove in the other guys post :lol:

anyway 900 hp on the street is just not going to be street no more,unless its threw turbos...so with that being said i guess i wouldnt want a 900hp small block and that puts me back to"how much horsepower do you want"now then again i know some 8-9 second turbo regal cars that are very streetable and could drive anywhere...

imo our raw horsepower age is getting to be a thing of the past,but thats another debate to come

i guess if i was going to build a hot rod to go foward and never have to turn id go with bbc,but with bbc all that weight wont let you make turns :lol:
Old 08-14-2007, 08:58 AM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

Brian I show to get 670hp @ the rear wheel on 10.00 ET w/ 136 mph in a 3400# 69 Camaro.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service