1981 Toyota Trekker 4X4 SR5
Frame on restoration started with a clean Wisconsin Trekker. Restored true to the 80’s off-road craze. Jet Black with custom burgundy award winning interior. High Performance 175 HP SOHC 4 cylinder engine, Weber Carb and intake, exhaust header and performance cam. SR-5 trim model, bucket seats, power steering, power brakes, stereo, tinted glass, intermittent wipers, gauge package.
Few Toyota fans know that the 1981 Toyota Trekker 4WD Pickup was the brainchild of Brookfield, Wisconsin’s very own Jack Safro. The concept was approved by Toyota and executed in collaboration between long-time Toyota dealer Safro, whose son John is known as the authority on the model, and Winnebago Industries, Inc. Based on the Hilux 4×4 Pick up, the Trekker was outfitted with a fiberglass rear body and extra seating to appeal to the SUV market, and was quite a success with over 1,200 units sold. The Trekker was also, forgive the play on words, the forerunner to Toyota’s wildly successful 4Runner that was introduced in 1984.
This Wisconsin native Trekker has been reborn with the style of the eighty’s off road craze. It was given a frame-on restoration that has returned it to truly exceptional condition, to the extent that any Toyota dealer would be proud to display it in his showroom. The custom interior includes many driver and passenger comforts, reclining bucket seats, center console, power steering and brakes, SR-5 gauges, stereo system, intermittent wipers and tinted glass. Driven by the reliable and economical 20R SOHC 4 cylinder. The performance engine rebuild includes a Weber carb, custom intake manifold, performance camshaft and header provide plenty of additional power. It has only been driven test miles since completion.
– These mid-80s Toyotas were terrific vehicles of great quality and unheard-of reliability, and this particular example is a wonderful testimony.
– Jack Safro of Jack Safro Toyota conceived the Trekker due to the Land Cruiser FJ40 being discontinued.
– Production approved by Toyota in collaboration with Safro and Winnebago Industries
– The Trekker was produced from 1981-1983 with only 1200 units built
– Frame on restoration started with a clean Wisconsin Trekker
– Restored true to the 80’s off-road craze
– Jet Black with custom burgundy award winning interior
– High Performance 133.6 /175 HP SOHC 4 cylinder engine, Weber Carb and intake, Exhaust header, performance cam
– SR-5 trim model, bucket seats,
– Power steering, Power brakes, Stereo, Tinted glass, Intermittent wipers, gauge package