what to do? rear main seal leak on daily driver

Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 PM
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
I wouldn't worry about oil consumption less than one quart per thousand miles, with almost 200k....drive & enjoy.....one quart in 2k is nothing for an engine that age & milage. jmo

X2

And a hellova lot cheaper than PAYMENTS :lol:
Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

JMO: put some valve cover gaskets on (do not over tighten them). Unless you are seeing a big puddle under the truck everytime, drive it. Keep an eye on oil level. rear main seals are notorious for going out anyways... it's a 20.00 seal with a TON of R&R labor... drive it.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 PM
txhunter69
EXPERT BUILDER

i have the same truck and at 258k i bought a new/used motor for 225 best investment yet still drivin strong

paid 750 for the truck and have been drivin it for 2 years
Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 AM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Rigsby
JMO: put some valve cover gaskets on (do not over tighten them). Unless you are seeing a big puddle under the truck everytime, drive it. Keep an eye on oil level. rear main seals are notorious for going out anyways... it's a 20.00 seal with a TON of R&R labor... drive it.
Agree - just drive it. What if you spend all the time to change the seal and it has a groove worn in the crank??