Fuel Pump

Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Fuel pumps

Magna Flow is a good product, top of the line most say, I have a bg280 for my 505 and if I really want to add juice, I should upgrade to a little bigger pump. I also have done this simple test and told many others as it holds true to test. Once you have the pump on and working, take off the main line prior to the reg., drop that into a 1 gal jug, or a 5 gal jug and mark off 1 gal on the side. Get a stop watch or use your wrist watch and start your pump and count the time off up to 30 seconds. if you have enough pump to fill the 1 gal jug in less than 30 seconds, you have enough pump to support a 10 sec. racecar.
I have helped many a racer with this test find bad fuel pumps, plugged fuel filters and leaks, and it just works.
I have a filter between the fuel cell and the pump, and another filter before the reg. and it works well.

John
Old 01-30-2009, 05:30 AM
ashtrak
MASTER BUILDER

I believe it depends on the micron rating of the fuel filter if it goes before the pump or after.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 AM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: Fuel pumps

Originally Posted by elkymann
Magna Flow is a good product, top of the line most say, I have a bg280 for my 505 and if I really want to add juice, I should upgrade to a little bigger pump. I also have done this simple test and told many others as it holds true to test. Once you have the pump on and working, take off the main line prior to the reg., drop that into a 1 gal jug, or a 5 gal jug and mark off 1 gal on the side. Get a stop watch or use your wrist watch and start your pump and count the time off up to 30 seconds. if you have enough pump to fill the 1 gal jug in less than 30 seconds, you have enough pump to support a 10 sec. racecar.
I have helped many a racer with this test find bad fuel pumps, plugged fuel filters and leaks, and it just works.
I have a filter between the fuel cell and the pump, and another filter before the reg. and it works well.

John
The proper test requires the regulator in the system for the test you are siting. Otherwise the flow as used is not what you are testing. The free flow of the pump is moot. The flow thru your regulator at the set pressure into a can using both lines will give you relevant flow numbers you are trying to get to. The open line test is meaningless unless the line is run without a regulator. The test you are doing is testing free flow only, not what the engine has to use to make power out of, which is the point of the test you are attempting to do. and in ( 25 seconds) or less time for 10 second car, not 30 seconds.

Food for thought
Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 AM
superstreeter
SENIOR BUILDER

just curious, what the flow per seconds would be for a 9.0 ride, around 15 seconds ??? is there a gage for this anywhere ???
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 AM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

The flow is in the description of the pump. MagnaFuel 500 is 500 gallons per hour of flow. Thats why I recommended this pump. It has a built in bypass, so it will work with a 350 ci to 600 ci engine set up. Its just a good all around race pump.