considering a magneto..advice please

Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 PM
sc4405
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default mag

Run the MSD stuff, 7al2 or 3, and an East Coast mini alternator. You can hot-lap that dog for hours and it'll always start! I ran Vertex years ago, they have a very small coil and like others said very little spark energy when cranking. Don Zig and others converted them to external coils and hotter magnets - that helps but it's still a magneto. I also ran Mallory Super Mag III for a while, good units w/ an external coil and still kinda the choice for sprinters. Also once had an MSD 7X box that I swear could cut through 1/4" steel! You didn't want to get accidently hit with that! 8) JB
Old 08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
promodjohn
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by olds48
What kind of alternator are you using?I was just using a stock GM one wire,and it wasn't cutting it.
Take a look at Jones Racing Alternators
Old 08-15-2008, 02:35 PM
olds48
RACING JUNKIE

Thanks guys
Old 11-27-2008, 04:51 AM
mopar1962
JUNIOR BUILDER

Too much upkeep and tend to have a lot of spark scatter.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:12 AM
petiepye
SHOW GUEST

If you decide to stay with MSD or Mallory, I highly recommend that you go to an Optima Yellowtop battery. I, also, don't run an alternator, have electic water pump and fans, which I run between rounds to cool down fast, even a bottle heater, and can run four passes with no problem between charges. Awesome battery. Regenerates itself. I have thought of going to two of them, think I could run all day without a charge.