Connecting rod ?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:56 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by jp55
Just checked both their websites & neither of them stock a 6.660.
You won't find that a stocked rod length by anyone. The length you're asking for is a +.525 long. Standard stocked lengths come in +.250, +.500, etc.

It's easier and faster to get custom pistons made than custom rods.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Oliver

Originally Posted by bbchevy
OLIVER!
They dont mind Charing for there OVER PRICED $h!t!
I have a Nice set of Billet 6.635 BBC Rods,1830.00 with the Bolt Upgrade.I sell them CHEAP!
But,heres the Deal,6 are Useable and 2 are JUNK!After 2 Passes.1 of them let go of the Bearing for an Unknown Reason?They will Sell me two more though???
Later
G
Shoot me a PM on the price of the 6 rods.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
Originally Posted by hammertime
I wouldnt buy oliver seems they like to break a lot.. Ive got pics to prove it !

Carrillo is a good rod, just make sure you get the good rod bolts and check the HP rating.
I banged the blower REALLY hard @ 8000 RPM on this Oliver rod. It only bent, it' didn't break. So what are you doing that's causing them to break?

Just racing !!! 190 passes it broke in 1/2 ... at that time my motor shop was APD they build 100's of motors for people who put 300-400 passes on a year. He told me when we were rebuilding it he'd take the Oliver's out because they are junk, he even suggested running Eagle before the oliver. I didnt listen because I thought oliver was the best thing out there at that time, didnt take long to find out otherwise.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:47 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

I don't race any B/BLK stuff, but we're useing the lanotti promod rods on (3) 434" alcohol injected no problems. I had eagles in my blown s/blk when it was a 358, but changing to alum. on the 383" motor.
If you notice you will not find anyone running steel rods in the pro ranks, i know prostocks are running tit. but all others run alum.

just my .02

Zip.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:55 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

1st off i would like to say..its all made of metal and NO PART is bullet proof,the all can and will break..no matter what brand they are.

with this said..i will say most serious blown motors and Nos motors use the aluminum Rod...they tend not the beat the bearings to death.

i personally run Crower Titanium Rods in my 632.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 01-16-2008, 01:21 AM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

why dont people use aluminum rods? on streetable cars?
do we know and understand what aluminum pistons go through?
aluminum rods wont last longer?,and stay durable?
they cool faster,seem to be stronger, less flex?,lighter
??????????????/
still deciding on a set of rods to use- need bbc 2.2/ 6.8

thanks for ny and all replies
Old 01-16-2008, 01:47 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

From the use I've seen of alum rods in drag racing application isnt that great. Most people replace after a seasons use, my buddies top sportsman car has a 706 Eagle Built motor in it and they said to replace every 75 passes. I would think in a street car application they would wear out even faster ?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Just racing !!! 190 passes it broke in 1/2 ... at that time my motor shop was APD they build 100's of motors for people who put 300-400 passes on a year. He told me when we were rebuilding it he'd take the Oliver's out because they are junk, he even suggested running Eagle before the oliver. I didnt listen because I thought oliver was the best thing out there at that time, didnt take long to find out otherwise.

[/quote]

Unless the picture is deceiving that rod is blue which means a bearing failure caused the problem. any rod will fail under that circumstance. any one who tells you to replace Oliver with Eagle is just plain wrong.
We have Oliver in a 406 SB2.2 making 2200 H.P. with 36 lbs boost and probably over 100 sets running in anything from 700 H.P. on up.At that power level Eagles will crack in less than a season.Bill
Old 01-16-2008, 07:04 AM
OneBadGMC
RACING JUNKIE

Unless the picture is deceiving that rod is blue which means a bearing failure caused the problem. any rod will fail under that circumstance. any one who tells you to replace Oliver with Eagle is just plain wrong.
We have Oliver in a 406 SB2.2 making 2200 H.P. with 36 lbs boost and probably over 100 sets running in anything from 700 H.P. on up.At that power level Eagles will crack in less than a season.Bill
I agree. That rod was blued and cracked/broke from heat fatigue. Maybe Hammertime should be looking for a new engine builder instead of a new rod.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:40 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

any one who tells you to replace Oliver with Eagle is just plain wrong.

i agree 100%

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -