Few pics of 10.5 Nova

Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 PM
oldandtired
RACING JUNKIE

Man, you are giving the American middle class another reason to relocate to New Zealand!

Be careful. If a couple of dozen of us make the move, you will have a lot of competition (and a bunch of new friends!)

Dave
Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

Problem with NZ is prize money is crap, sponsors are almost non existent and it costs an arm and a leg to import parts. The courier companies are making a killing. The NZ $$ is only about 56c US. Nitrous bottles cost NZ$250 each to fill. I couldn't believe it in Alabama when they said its about NZ$20 for a ten pound bottle. Sheeeeit.

The fastest doorslammer in NZ is currently a blown 55 Chev with a hemi in it. It ran 6.22 secs at about 227mph. Australian cars have now broken into the 5's and you need to run at less 6.0 to qualify.

So we don't race for the money.... its just the need for speed.

Hey BJuice. What size carbs are you running and how much spray. That thing is hauling arse for such a heavy beast. Mines only 2450 lbs. 1/8th is 4.44 @ 161mph.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
Problem with NZ is prize money is crap, sponsors are almost non existent and it costs an arm and a leg to import parts. The courier companies are making a killing. The NZ $$ is only about 56c US. Nitrous bottles cost NZ$250 each to fill. I couldn't believe it in Alabama when they said its about NZ$20 for a ten pound bottle. Sheeeeit.

The fastest doorslammer in NZ is currently a blown 55 Chev with a hemi in it. It ran 6.22 secs at about 227mph. Australian cars have now broken into the 5's and you need to run at less 6.0 to qualify.

So we don't race for the money.... its just the need for speed.

Hey BJuice. What size carbs are you running and how much spray. That thing is hauling arse for such a heavy beast. Mines only 2450 lbs. 1/8th is 4.44 @ 161mph.
a pair of 1200's. lighting 350 on the hit and 250 in the second stage about .07 out.
Best its run locally was a 4.75@153 and a 1.12 60ft. this was last Month. The Air is pretty thiick around here this time of year 90 degree's witha 100% humidity.

I have seen some of Greg Hinds stuff for sale on RJ before. He has a lot of Nice stuff. Did he still have the 63 Corvette TM built ?

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-04-2009, 07:42 PM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

BJuice; Greg did own a 63 TM Vette for a time but sold that. He currently has Tommy's personal vette on RJ for sale. He has a 68 Camaro that he currently races in Top Sportsman.

I have two 1050 Chuck Nuytten dominators that are flowing 1220cfm each.

I leave the line with a 400 hit and then 300 more between .4 and 1 sec depending on traction.
The car has 34.5x17x16 Hoosiers and I still get real loose now and then. Your car does real well on those 10.5 tyres. Gives me a lotta hope I can squeeze some more out of my beast. What rear gear are you running for the eighth? 4:30? 4:54?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
BJuice; Greg did own a 63 TM Vette for a time but sold that. He currently has Tommy's personal vette on RJ for sale. He has a 68 Camaro that he currently races in Top Sportsman.

I have two 1050 Chuck Nuytten dominators that are flowing 1220cfm each.

I leave the line with a 400 hit and then 300 more between .4 and 1 sec depending on traction.
The car has 34.5x17x16 Hoosiers and I still get real loose now and then. Your car does real well on those 10.5 tyres. Gives me a lotta hope I can squeeze some more out of my beast. What rear gear are you running for the eighth? 4:30? 4:54?
Lol..this is where it gets real interesting...believe it or Not i run 3.70 gears ...I know, I know it doesn't sound right.
Tony Christian came up with this set up and everyone involved was kicking and screaming saying it was too high...But damn if it didn't turn out to be the best thing ever changed on the car.
the car had a 1.12 60 ft and it clocked the back tires.Before the gear change (4.30) best 60ft was a 1.19 clocking front tires with the 3.70 It doesn't have the Herky,Jerky Violent Hit that rattles your eye balls we have both expeerienced in our prior rides....lol...instead its real smooth and settled on the hit and really pulls hard 80 ft out thru traps..the 3.70 gear makes the car MPH really Good.

Tony was calling for a 3.60 gear and even called Steve Kirk on the phone (on the spot to confirm) with all the doubters standing around...lol

Bottom Line the higher/Taller gear you can run if you got some motor the better off your gonna be..i have done been made a believer of this the last 2 years.

coming up as a kid and young racer it was Gear it up, but back then we didn't have a lot of engine..so the low gear worked well.

I run a 14 inch wide wheel ( double beadlock) on the 10.5 tire, it flattens it out real good...

Just curious / what gear you running ?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Dam I feel like an idiot running 558 gears about now.

Brian, hate to interupt this thread BUT since were on the subject of gears I wanted to ask for a recommendation.

What gear would you/ya'll in my car, its pretty light around 3k with fat boy driving, 496BBC, 176 glide, 5800 8 inch converter.

Everybody has been telling me 513 but now I'm thinking maybe taller.
Best sixty so far is a 1.29 footbraking, most of the time it leaves oretty good then unloads after the launch and my short times shows it, usually in the mid 130's. But when it does hook it totes the front tires to almost the sixty.
Also it shifts pretty quick, less than 1/4 track and the motor is around 7800 rpm across the stripe on a short 1/8 mile track.

I've got new (2 weekends) phoinex 14.5 x 32 slicks and it still blows the tires sometimes, I'm thinking a taller gear would help on the launch.
Any thoughts?

Heres a clip of a 1.34 sixty foot launch last weekend, you can see it lift the front end then immediately set back down and spin.
I know we dont have the best track prep in the world ( they rarely spray unless u beg) and that might be an issuse as well.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...y302009015.flv

Thx, Cp
Old 06-06-2009, 01:47 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

I had a 69 Camaro with a 496BB running 4:11 gears in the quarter. I changed to 3:73 gears to reduce the top end revs. It still launched fine. The nitrous and cubes overcame any losses and it did a lot better at the top end of the track, staying in its power range. (I still got sick of that motor and chucked a 572ci in there eventually). It was about 3000lbs and had 28.5 x 14 x 15 tyres.

My Nova has 4:10 gears. Most quarter mile cars are running 4:30's but they are heavier blower cars. Mines 2450 lbs and has around 1100 lbs of torque so its like the Camaro, still launches hard out and kicks arse at the top end too.
I agree totally with BJuice about his gearing.
CPEX111 I think you're blowing the tyres off it because of that gearing and thats also why its revving the shit out of it. Your power range is probably peaking out around 7600 or less so you're probably better off getting those revs down. Save you money on parts too!
Old 06-06-2009, 05:43 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
Dam I feel like an idiot running 558 gears about now.

Brian, hate to interupt this thread BUT since were on the subject of gears I wanted to ask for a recommendation.

What gear would you/ya'll in my car, its pretty light around 3k with fat boy driving, 496BBC, 176 glide, 5800 8 inch converter.

Everybody has been telling me 513 but now I'm thinking maybe taller.
Best sixty so far is a 1.29 footbraking, most of the time it leaves oretty good then unloads after the launch and my short times shows it, usually in the mid 130's. But when it does hook it totes the front tires to almost the sixty.
Also it shifts pretty quick, less than 1/4 track and the motor is around 7800 rpm across the stripe on a short 1/8 mile track.

I've got new (2 weekends) phoinex 14.5 x 32 slicks and it still blows the tires sometimes, I'm thinking a taller gear would help on the launch.
Any thoughts?

Heres a clip of a 1.34 sixty foot launch last weekend, you can see it lift the front end then immediately set back down and spin.
I know we dont have the best track prep in the world ( they rarely spray unless u beg) and that might be an issuse as well.

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...y302009015.flv

Thx, Cp
Its hard to say what Gear for sure , its sort of one of those things that you gotta play around with but i would say the 5.88 gear is way too much gear.
the only thing is that this gears cost $$ and time spent to put them in so you wann be right as you can the 1st go around.

sounds like you have a strong motor. For the 1/8th. I would be looking in the 4.86 range if i was never going to hit it with NOS, IF i was going to hit it with a 250 shot etc..i would be looking in the 4.30 no more then 4.56 range...

Please keep in mind when you go puting a higher gear in it will Affect your converter. If your converter is on the edge ( loose) with the 5.88 it will blow right thru it with the 4.88.....

Bottom line Charles i think you are leaving something on the table with that Low gear. with a higher gear your gonna be more consistant all the way around best part it will work better with those so-so nights at the track to where no prep was used.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Thx guys, I really appreciate ya'lls input.

Didnt get to race the car this weekend, ran my buddies 71 nova and I hate pulling double duty.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:37 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

How's it going BJuice? Done some racing lately. I'm itching for the season to start. Have to wait til November.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -