thinkin about new mufflers

Old 03-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

Might I add that we are tallking to a person who has "glasspacks" on a truck w/a sbc mostly stock??? Not a super gas race car?? Hello- even a set of bulk mufflers from the closeout box in front of the local auto parts store would be better than that. Now if he wants to shave .000878 of of his ET at the nationals in his "truck"... that is different. Bowhay, just pick up some non-glass mufflers & don't get too caught up with the details too much. JMO. Scoot
Old 03-22-2009, 09:34 PM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

PURPLE HORNIES !!!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by bowhay
well then what would u suggest chuck
Dynomax super turbo or ultraflow, borla, or magnaflow. There are a bunch of good mufflers out there flowmaster just isn't one of them.
Check out this thread.
http://forums.racingjunk.com/viewtop...ht=restrictive

I was aware of this long before this post was made and it's a couple of years old.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:30 AM
chevynovaman
SENIOR BUILDER

I bought some used flowmaster mufflers back in the day for 75.00 used, they have been on my street car for the last 12 years, and i expect them to be on my car for over 20 years.., whats going to give you better sound than a flowmaster or live that long? not to many, opinion. good luck..
Old 03-23-2009, 07:07 AM
CamBirdRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I have had to use my Flowmasters as a spacer to jack my car up. They are tough.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 AM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

put some quite mufflers on it so you don't heve a headake buy the time you get to the track.jmo
Old 03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Scooterz
RACING JUNKIE

I have heard a few people say that FlowMaster's have issues... how bad can the issue be?? I mean, like are we talking about big HP loss?? Because I know people that have them & love them... no issues. Anything is better than the Hooker ones I had... those were the worst mufflers ever. Bowhay is putting them on a SBC 1983 Chevy pickup with glasspacks... you really think a set of FlowMasters are going to dissapoint him?? Come on, I had some on a Chevelle & they sounded awesome... sold the car w/ them on it & like one of the past posts said, they really don't wear out fast. They have no glass in them, sound great, aren't that expensive... what is the issue? Scooter
Old 03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
bowhay
EXPERT BUILDER

yea i have a buddy thats runnin dynomax bullets, and i like the sound but its a lil too loud for me
"cops round here dont really like loud"
so i was thinkin bout those dynomax turbo mufflers
anyone got any feedback on those
Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I used to run purple hornies on one of my old dragcars, to me it was kinda restrictive so I tossed them at the track saved for romps on the street....hehe
Question: Is this a hot rod race truck or just a cruiser?
In my old 76 Silverado I just ran turbos that I got from the local muffler shop, they sounded good, not to loud and not to quiet.
I've also heard that "flowdisasters" are the worst performance muffler out there, who knew they were such pieces of $hit??
But dam it man, they were all the rage back in the day - everybody I knew either had them or wanted them. Cp
Old 03-24-2009, 04:33 AM
gearhead1011
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by Rigsby
I have heard a few people say that FlowMaster's have issues... how bad can the issue be?? I mean, like are we talking about big HP loss?? ... ...1983 Chevy pickup with glasspacks... you really think a set of FlowMasters are going to dissapoint him... ... They have no glass in them, sound great, aren't that expensive... what is the issue? Scooter
The HP loss is significant but you're probably right, on this application he wouldn't notice. He asked for a recommendation on mufflers and I gave him my opinion. I have been doing exhaust work since 1982 and have some experience in this area.

Originally Posted by bowhay
so i was thinkin bout those dynomax turbo mufflers
anyone got any feedback on those
It's a very good muffler, low restriction and much quieter than a flowmaster.

Originally Posted by cepx111
Question: Is this a hot rod race truck or just a cruiser?
In my old 76 Silverado I just ran turbos that I got from the local muffler shop, they sounded good, not to loud and not to quiet.
I've also heard that "flowdisasters" are the worst performance muffler out there, who knew they were such pieces of $hit??
But dam it man, they were all the rage back in the day - everybody I knew either had them or wanted them. Cp
Sounds like you had is what I refer to as an installer turbo. They are usually a generic type of muffler that is less restrictive than a stock muffler and they have a decent sound. It's a good economical choice for the average stock to mild performance street car.

I was never impressed with a flowdisaster muffler. The muffler they offer now has a better physical appearance than the original ones that were shaped like a box and I never cared for the way they sound. That's just my opinion and apparently the guys with the 5.0 Mustangs thought otherwise. To me the kids with those Mustangs are what created the whole flowdisaster craze. When I have a customer ask me for my opinion on what "sounds good" I'll tell them that's subjective. What sounds good to me might not be what they like. Personally I like a little sound and I have customers that like the no muffler straight pipe sound. When a customer asks for something that sounds like a flowmaster I will warn them about the performance disadvantage but if that's the sound they want I'll get sell them a "flow".

I have a group of guys about 100 miles from here that won't let anyone touch the exhaust on they cars they build but me. A few years ago the one put a dyno in his shop and one of the guys at another dyno shop that he shares info with actually set up a sbc on a dyno just to test mufflers. Out of all the mufflers that he tested the "flows" were by far the worst. These are the guys that got me started using the term flowdisaster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -