What motor to build?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:23 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

bjuice,I'm interested in more details on the 454. Can you tell us compression,cam specs,carb size and what the heads flowed? I watched your videos,sounded good and pulled strong. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Notalent
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

How much money are you looking to spend? What kind of power are you looking to get? How is your suspension setup?

I would personally go with a 489-510ci BBC. All the power still may not get you to reach your goals unless you have the suspension to back it up. I will be building a 505 or 510ci here in the next month putting out about 600-650HP for my 1971 Chevelle....cant wait!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by nofear69
bjuice,I'm interested in more details on the 454. Can you tell us compression,cam specs,carb size and what the heads flowed? I watched your videos,sounded good and pulled strong. Thanks!
the compression was close to 13 to 1..the cam was a lunati .722/.722 280/284 @50 ( cam part# 50225). Tom McDunnah has had some good experience with this same cam profile. the carb is a Bo-laws 1050 dominater that flowed over 1200 cfm.
the heads are a set of the BB2'S with 2.25/1.88's they have had extensive port work done to them..since they have not been flowed on a bench i would have to say they are in the range of 360/370 or close to the bb2x.
i have a port matched 454-r with much port work done in the plentum area shorten front runners etc....ALOT of head and intake port work ( by hand)

i put the car on Alcohol at the end of last year and stood it up on the back bumper ( no wheelie bars) had to lift... got back in the gasr and it still ran a 5.98et @ 117mph..it was on a 119/120 mph run at a 5.70et..on this same pass i broke a lifter...i guess the alcohol increased so much bottom end it found the weak link in my valve train.

Like i said before this is a true street car that i drive to local cruise inns'..thats why i put a new set of mufflers on it....it has all factory glass, lights,door regualtors. all steel except hood including bumpers, the heavy ford factory brake calipers and rotors front and back..She's a Pig !...i could take 400lbs off her real easy and it would be a 5.30/5.40 car but then it would not be a street car then...LOL

this little motor ran good..it hurt my feelings when she broke....i still got the block,rods and pistons....one day she may go back in a 69 camaro street car we got here at the house.

hope this helps.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 10-27-2008, 01:21 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

TYSON14, which ever way you decide to go if you like ISKY CAMS I'm very good friends with the owner and I will get you a pretty good price on their stuff. If you would like you can send me a pm with your phone number when you are ready and I will get you some prices. I will do the same for anybody else also because we all need to stick together here.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:47 PM
nofear57
EXPERT BUILDER

Thanks bjuice for the info! Its good to here all the details of many engine combinations.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

When I had a lifter break it also busted the block... it was a 1970 512 casting 454 . I still have it too I figure I can always hard block it since it is a very small crack.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM
maxpower671
SENIOR BUILDER

Default and the winner is..

always build the biggest engine you can afford! this has never been more true..... esp the last few years.....

the big cubes will be more reliable in the long run..

this is coming from a long time small block fan, but even though the BBC is a bit more money initially, bang for buck, hands down, BBC!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:22 AM
desoto30
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Re: and the winner is..

Originally Posted by maxpower671
always build the biggest engine you can afford! this has never been more true..... esp the last few years.....

the big cubes will be more reliable in the long run..

this is coming from a long time small block fan, but even though the BBC is a bit more money initially, bang for buck, hands down, BBC!
X2 agree completely cubes & compression you don't have to tune it in when you've got it it's always there,& the BB is more robust although heavier. Less maintainance for the same HP Gotta be a good thing & more potential HP
Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 PM
michael1
MASTER BUILDER

Small blocks are good if you want to build an inexpensive 400 hp motor. But if you want to go fast a big block is the way to go.I'm building a 632 but I always had fun with the smaller motors too.Now days you can build big cubes for a descent price.Do it right the first time.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:23 AM
TYSON14
APPRENTICE

I just got a deal on a 383 stroker kit. A guy i work with needs some money so i bought some motown heads that have 2.08 valves in them. and some weisco pistons and eagle rods that have cap screws and they are light weight rods. So we will see what that will do? For the money i cant go wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -