gears or timing chains

Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

billhendren wrote:
The Jesel or C.V. products belt drives will run for several thousand race miles without a belt change and are the best choice if the budget allows. Bill
I bought my Jesel belt drive new in 2001 for my 539 BBC and only have about 200 runs on it. (Due to career change have not drag raced very much in the last several years) That is not very miles, but it is 6 years old. How long does the belt last?

A CompCams rep told a friend that he should replace his belt every year, but that seems a bit excessive. His belt had broken on his SBC 429 after about 3 years and the spider gear was well worn, so he is now wanting to change every year.

Thanks for your inputs,
Bill M
Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Look at it this way, the Nextel cup guys run them for 500 miles at a time with no problems.we run them at least that far on our super late models and have never had a broken belt.some of the early belts were only 20mm and we did see a few failures but after they went to a 25mm belt we haven't seen any breakage.Bill
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 AM
sp2816
MASTER BUILDER

Bill, thanks again for the advice. That was along the lines that I was thinking (at least 500miles).

Bill M
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Robert1320
JUNIOR BUILDER

Sorry guy I don't get to this forum often enough.
A chain or belt is the way to go.
For the money a good chain is hard to beat.
If the budget allows I like the CV Products Belt drive.