Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Grumpy Died . . RIP Bill . .

  1. #1
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    628

    Grumpy Died . . RIP Bill . .

    Pro Stock legend Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins dies
    NHRA Pro stock icon Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins, a master of the internal combustion engine and a legend among the Chevrolet faithful, died March 29. He was 81.

    He did almost as much for making Chevy engines run good than did Duntov and Smokey . . .

  2. #2
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE oldandtired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Posts
    1,368
    He had forgot more about Chevy engines than I ever knew to begin with.

    RIP Bill
    Dave
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/343797
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

  3. #3
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER TheEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Moore Oklahoma
    Posts
    129
    I met Grumpy once at the 1972 NHRA Fall Nationals in Amarillo Texas (old airport site). He was there with his small-block Pro-Stock Vega! He had his plugs out reading them and adjusting his lifters. I still have some print photos from that 1972 event (need to scan them).

    I also remember Sox & Martin was there, but I can't remember who won Pro-Stock at that event (too long ago). Grumpy was always my hero, because I've always been a Chevy racer!

    Very sorry to hear about him passing.

  4. #4
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER TheEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Moore Oklahoma
    Posts
    129
    This is my favorite photo of Grumpy with Pam Hardy! And, Grumpy is "almost" smiling! I wonder why? Also, he had the nick-name Gumpy for a reason.

    http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1334144757

  5. #5
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    628
    "Jinks" was a perv . . He loved to snuggle up under Linda Vaughn's Boobs . . there's many pictures of him doing just that with that sh*t eating grin . .

    And Pam? Hell yes! Me too! . . . .

    Pam Hardy (Jungle Pam) was a show unto herself. But she was also one of the best Crew Chief's, if you want to call her that. She knew the car, the driver and what to look for while backing Jim up and staging him . . One of the most viewed shots of Pam is a literal Beaver shot, but she's doing what a crew chief is supposed to do, looking at a potential problem . . It was just that no other Crew Chief, then or now, could look that good doing what she did . .

    I never missed a Jungle Jim pass if I was where I could be witness . . No matter what kind of thrash we might have been in the middle of . .

  6. #6
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER TheEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Moore Oklahoma
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill2
    "Jinks" was a perv . . He loved to snuggle up under Linda Vaughn's Boobs . . there's many pictures of him doing just that with that sh*t eating grin . .

    And Pam? Hell yes! Me too! . . . .

    Pam Hardy (Jungle Pam) was a show unto herself. But she was also one of the best Crew Chief's, if you want to call her that. She knew the car, the driver and what to look for while backing Jim up and staging him . . One of the most viewed shots of Pam is a literal Beaver shot, but she's doing what a crew chief is supposed to do, looking at a potential problem . . It was just that no other Crew Chief, then or now, could look that good doing what she did . .

    I never missed a Jungle Jim pass if I was where I could be witness . . No matter what kind of thrash we might have been in the middle of . .
    I've also got that photo of Pam down on her knees looking under Jungle Jim's Funny Car. Wow, what a view!!! :mrgreen:

    http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1334144757

    If Pam was my crew-chief, she would really keep my driver moral up (as-well-as, something else). And, I would still do all the engine work myself!

    Now that I think about it, I just might be as big of a perv as old Grumpy having all these photos of Pam! It probably has something to do with building too many Chevy race engines! That's my story and I'm sticking to it :roll:

  7. #7
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    EUGENE,OR.
    Posts
    3,408
    Who Died??? What were we talking about? Man, that is a nice pair of funny car....s... I mean.. that Pam sure looks nice... lady.
    "I would walk through hell on Sunday before I fear the enemy"

  8. #8
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE TheYellaBrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Emmett, Idaho
    Posts
    7,334
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer



    I've also got that photo of Pam down on her knees looking under Jungle Jim's Funny Car. Wow, what a view!!! :mrgreen:

    http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1334144757
    OH MAN ! That is ALmost obscene. But from MY 'point of view', it certainly, absolutely, unequivocally IS NOT !!
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    TRUTH is HATE
    to those who
    HATE TRUTH

    God Bless our folks in uniform
    "We the People, have your backs"
    http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/279898

  9. #9
    Senior Member MASTER BUILDER TheEngineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Moore Oklahoma
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer



    I've also got that photo of Pam down on her knees looking under Jungle Jim's Funny Car. Wow, what a view!!! :mrgreen:

    http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/r...g?t=1334144757
    OH MAN ! That is ALmost obscene. But from MY 'point of view', it certainly, absolutely, unequivocally IS NOT !!
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Everyone here on the forum is entitled to their own view, or view-point. However, when it comes to "viewing" this photo of Pam Hardy, I bet most of us old racers are seeing it about the same!! :mrgreen:

  10. #10
    Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    EUGENE,OR.
    Posts
    3,408
    I may not be as old as some... I was just a toddler at that time... but that is just good old AMERICAN racing history & fun.
    "I would walk through hell on Sunday before I fear the enemy"


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright © 2005-2016 RacingJunk.com All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of the RacingJunk.com
Terms of Use, Classifieds Disclaimer, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy