Thread: Push Rods

Senior Member MASTER BUILDER

Push Rods

I'm replacing the cam in my bbc (468 -12.5 compression) with a comp cams solid roller, springs, rockers, etc. I need pushrods. I don't know what to order. The heads are ported GM iron heads. Any help would be appreciated.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Call Manton

http://www.mantonpushrods.com/

Get the biggest ones that you can fit.

Re: Push Rods

Quote Originally Posted by jreiley
    I'm replacing the cam in my bbc (468 -12.5 compression) with a comp cams solid roller, springs, rockers, etc. I need pushrods. I don't know what to order. The heads are ported GM iron heads. Any help would be appreciated.

comp cams parts, and your not using there push rods???
    whats going on here?
    i would stay with comp products ,its a safe bet

Buy an adjustable pushrod or borrow one from a machine shop to mesure the legnth you need.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE
    Quote Originally Posted by ARUSSELL
    Buy an adjustable pushrod or borrow one from a machine shop to mesure the legnth you need.
    X2

Zip.

pushrods

Manley has 3/8 diameter with .080 wall or .120 wall.The 3/8 x .120 wall will be just fine.They also have 7/16 diameter.

Senior Member RACING JUNKIE jmarksdragster's Avatar
    A lot depends on the RPM you plan to run. You need an adjustable pushrod to figure out what length you need, this is one of the last things you do after the engine is assembled. Variations in cams, lifters, valve lengths, deck height, how much the heads are cut, gasket thickness, and the type of rockers all make each engine unique. You need a light weight spring on the intake and exhaust of one port to check, you want the line between the pivot centerline and the roller tip centerline perpendicular to the valve stem at mid lift. This will create the smallest arc across the tip of the valve which loads the stem the least. If you run standard rockers and guide plates you are limited to the guide plates as far as diameter. .080 is OK at 7000 or under, thicker is better at controlling harmonics and a good idea if you run it higher. If you run shaft rockers, as Todd suggested run the largest that will fit. Manton, Trend, and Smith Brothers all make quality pushrods, I run 7/16 .140 wall Manton in my SB2. I had quick service from Manton, ordered on Thursday and had them Monday.
    Mark Whitener
    http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org

Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work can't be good.