PDA

View Full Version : regulator

spib
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I was told by a company that I just got a regulator from to not mount regulator, just plumb in line, up close to carb

he said vibrations when you mount a regulator will kill them
agree or disagree ?

my set up is single carb, 8an line 600 hp motor, no return line

gnsrule
02-24-2010, 04:08 PM
I mounted mine on the old car and never had a problem. Im trying to find a good spot right now to mount it on the new car but havent found the right spot yet.
Whos regulator did you get? If its a BG 4 port, place a lock washer under the mounting bracket bolts if you use it as the supplied bolts are too long and doesnt squish the diaphram down tight. It will leak. I speak from experiance on this one. I called BG last time and they told me they never seen that before and now 4 years later I buy a new one and see the same thing.

Craig

spib
02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Its a moddified holley I believe from pro systems carb, looks like my small reg I got with my blue pump but it uses 1/2 inch in and out
http://www.prosystemsracing.com/catalog/item/5164392/5339867.htm

mopar1968
02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Mine is mounted on the firewall, with line to carb, no problems :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''

zipper06
02-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Mine is mounted on the passenger fenderwell, when running gas with 2 #6 lines going too the carb. I have a duel setup with a 10 gal tank in the trunk and a 3 gal. for alcohol mounted left front for the injection.

Zip.

gnsrule
02-24-2010, 11:38 PM
[quote="mopar1968"]Mine is mounted on the firewall, with line to carb, no problems :!: :!:

I belive NHRA sais no fuel line can be within 2 inches of the firewall, for what its worth.

Craig

spib
02-25-2010, 10:30 AM
[quote="gnsrule"][quote="mopar1968"]Mine is mounted on the firewall, with line to carb, no problems :!: :!:

I belive NHRA sais no fuel line can be within 2 inches of the firewall, for what its worth.

Craig[/quote
6" I believe :D :D for regulator, they get that I believe with the fact it states must be 6" forward of flywheel, bell housing area

mopar1968
02-25-2010, 07:47 PM
If you look at the pics in my profile you will see it mounted in passenger side of firewall, goes thru tech at every race, we race NHRA Track.

http://www.racingjunk.com/gallery/profile/163312/181736

al34
02-26-2010, 07:00 AM
they get that I believe with the fact it states must be 6" forward of flywheel, bell housing area
:wink: That is correct I got hit in tech 2 years ago for having the reg on the fire wall and had to relocate it.

spib
02-26-2010, 07:09 AM
mark I used to have mine just like yours, first race they made me move it, some tracks are just not that picky

mopar1968
02-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah it is different from track to track :!: :!:

zipper06
02-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Yeah it is different from track to track :!: :!:

Technically not legal Mark, but a lot of tracks are lax on rules. I know 3 NHRA tracks that donot even tech the cars. At Memphis, you teched one time and after that you just took the teck card up to the tower when you came in, Twin Cities doesn't even have a tech crew or scales,(they do get excited if you run too fast and the car is not certified) and now Holly Springs, is an NHRA track doesn't have a tech crew. The BAD, is we are NHRA members for the insurance in case of an accident (at least i am) and if there is an accident with injuries and the car is found to be illegal, the insurance isn't worth squat wheather it was teched or not.

JMO

Zip.

mopar1968
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree zip the little 1/8 mile track i go to doesn't tech cars, You roll thru the gate pay your money they hand you a card fill it out take to tower, and wham-bam your racing :!: :!: I race at Bristol Dragway nothing said about it, I have raced at Z-max in concord N.C. Summit raceway park nothing said so i don't know.

spib
02-26-2010, 03:48 PM
our tracks up here always tech and if something lil is wrong, they might let you run once, but next time must be fixed, if it is something major, you load it back up and go home, you dont run, that has happened to a few of my friends, but it does make for a safer track

qtrmile2
02-26-2010, 04:22 PM
All of ours are mounted Mark. Always on the fenderwells. I think I mounted one on the firewall and they made me move it years ago.

JimmySmith
02-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Mopar 68, Not trying to be a know it all BUT if you ever saw what a flexplate can do coming out you would not have the regulator on the firewall. On my car when on carb the fuel line is in a 12" pipe by the flywheel area. Do Not Want a FIRE. I have been a tech man , Track manager NHRA and racer for 50 years.
I think some of the rules are a little picky but not this one Later J.Smith 4621 racing :)

zipper06
02-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Here is the read from the 2009 rule book, rule 1:5

Zip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/zipper2/fuelsystem.jpg

mopar1968
02-26-2010, 07:28 PM
All i am saying is i have ran it this way for years, and have see alot of others like this and nothing has been said about it, Now i am sure if my car ran 5.0 1/8 or8.0 or 9.0 1/4 then something might be said.

dragonmaster093
02-26-2010, 08:47 PM
heres my thoughts go to the track you plan on racing at see what majority are running and go from there but thats just my 2 cents

Scooterz
03-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I am relocating mine as we speak from the front (near the rad/overflow) to the inside of fender. I see why some go to the firewall, as there is little room if you have no fender wells such as mine. I have little space to work with & still have decent hood/clearance. It makes sense... the thought of a flywheel coming up & causing carnage would go through the fuel lines like a hot knife through budda.

markdunlap
03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
What about mounting the regulator right at the carb on a bracket? They sell brackets for all brands of regulators that mount off the carb studs for 4150 and 4500 style carbs. Just run your main fuel hose along the passenger fender and make a 180 degree turn back toward the carb. Then 2 short #6 lines out of regulator to the carb bowls.
I have never had any problems doing it this way, running 4 seconds in 1/8 mile. Vibration doesn't appear to effect it as far as I can tell.

ajk
03-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Mounted mine on the farthest forward intake bolt with a bracket that i built.Very solid but no vibration problems in several years.

Scooterz
03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
What about mounting the regulator right at the carb on a bracket? They sell brackets for all brands of regulators that mount off the carb studs for 4150 and 4500 style carbs. Just run your main fuel hose along the passenger fender and make a 180 degree turn back toward the carb. Then 2 short #6 lines out of regulator to the carb bowls.
I have never had any problems doing it this way, running 4 seconds in 1/8 mile. Vibration doesn't appear to effect it as far as I can tell.

Mark,

I like those brackets. I thought about getting one & doing it that way myself. I have changed so many AN lines/fittings now (built my own quick disconnect 4500 dual feed too) that I am too sick of having to do yet another steel braided line & AN set up. I am just venting... I have so many different AN fittings & fuel parts now from learning that I have gotten burnt out on doing it over & over. I should have just done that bracket in the first place!!!