PDA

View Full Version : fuel level gage

09-20-2009, 10:04 AM
I have a 97 jeep wrangler I have a 350 chev in it all the computor stuff is gone all the gages are gone with it. I made my own gage cluster with speedo,water temp,oilpressure, volt metor with room for a fuel level gage. are there any made that will wire in to the pig tail coming out of the tank on one of these things or whats out there.The one's I've seen are not real specific on how they work. Some seem to be related to compatability with the manufacture's dash related wiring, I have none, just the pig tail coming out at the tank. Any idiy will help thanks. Is a 97 jeep considered a AMC jeep or Dodge jeep?

DirkaDirka
09-20-2009, 10:23 AM
You might have to just get one and hard wire it into the pigtail coming off the tank.IMO I havent really noticed any that have enough wire with the correct pigtail to just plug into the pigtail coming out of the tank.

mopar1968
09-20-2009, 10:30 AM
A fuel gauge works off of resistance, you need to apply voltage to sending unit, when the tank is full it uses less voltage, which is greater resistance, what i would do is use a fuel cell with a sending unit.

09-20-2009, 02:37 PM
A fuel cell is out. I assume I need to know the ohms range of the sending unit. Gages range from 0-30 on early GM to 0-90 on late model GM,s 16-158 on mustangs all the way up to 240-33 sending units I guess I need to some how find that info to get the right gage to be compatable with the stock jeep sending unit.

DirkaDirka
09-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Yes that would be something good to know so you dont end up burning up a fuel gauge or have it showing the wrong amount of fuel in your tank.