I stumbled across this wrecked 1967 Pontiac GTO rolling down the auction line this week. What a find this car is! With little more than 7,000 GTO Coupes manufactured in 1967, this is a rare find indeed. The damage isn’t as bad as it looks and as the old saying goes,” If it’s hit in the rear, most likely it was running down the road.” At a current bid in the $10K range, I knew instantly I needed this article to be worth $10K. No such luck yet, hence no GTO yet. I’m working on it.
F.Y.I. Pontiac marketed the GTO as the “Tiger” but the younger crowd dubbed it the “Goat”. Pontiac built the GTO from 1964-1974 and from 2004-2006.
Automotive: 1967 was the debut of the soon to be iconic Chevy Camaro.
In the Movies: The 1967 Pontiac GTO was featured in the 2002 action movie “XXX” with Vin Diesel and Samuel L. Jackson. Showing up to the audition with side pipes, 5 star wheels, and the custom gorgeous blue paint didn’t hurt.
In Music: The Rolling Stones “Ruby Tuesday“, The Supremes “Love Is Here And Now You’re Gone” and The Beatles “Penny Lane” owned the Billboard in March of 1967.
Fun Fact: In August, 2013 a red 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB Spider sold at auction for $27,500,000 making it one of the highest prices ever paid for a road car.
1967 INDY 500 Winner: A. J. Foyt, Ford
1967 NASCAR Champion: Richard Petty, Plymouth
Repair or Replace
1967 Pontiac GTO
- Hard Top – 65,176 built
- Convertible – 9,517 built
- Sports Coupe – 7,029 built
Current Pricing: $45,000 – $75,000 in excellent condition
Quick Look Paint:
- 2 Quarters – 10 hrs. total
- Quarter Door Jams x2 – 2 hrs. total
- Trunk Jams x2 – 2 hrs. total
- 1 Decklid (Blend) – 2 hrs.
- 2 doors (Blend) – 7 hrs. total
- 1 Pass Side, Fender (Custom Flame)
- 1 Hood (Custom Flame)
- Trunk Pan, Under Coat – 3 hrs.
- Materials – $1500 – 2000.00
- 27+ hrs. repair at $60.00 an hour labor.
= (Paint) Labor and materials – $3600.00
Quick Look Body:
- Full Quarter Panels x2 = $1400.00 list
- Replace Quarters x2 = 20 hrs. total
- Deck Lid hinge kit = $200.00 list
- Replace – 1 hr.
- Hood hunk kit = $175.00 list
- Replace – 1 hr.
- Rear Quarter inner wheelhouse = $175.00 list
- Replace Inner – 5 hrs. total
- Trunk Pan repair – 5 hrs. total
- Frame – 3 hrs.
- 40+ hrs. repair at $65.00 an hr. labor
= (Parts) 1950.00, (Body) Labor $2600.00
Quick Look Total: (Body, Paint, Parts, Material, Etc.) = $8k+ REBUILD IT!