Rj Profiles?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:34 AM
tsmith
SHOW GUEST

Default not being able to view galleries

Can someone please explain why we have to be friends with someone to view their pics? It is getting to be a pain in the butt. Thanks, Terry.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 PM
THERATTLER
RACING JUNKIE

because SOME of us are so ugly , that only our friends can stand to look at us :lol:
[img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 AM
PJ
CRAFTSMAN

Default Image Galleries

Sorry been away for so long guys, we did some shifting of people within the organization and it gives me a little more time to help with certain issues within the site.

So lets start with this topic, RaceSpace galleries.

You are correct that we did not make the profiles private, we did however make the galleries fall inline with our privacy policies.

How this all came to be.

As you know images in the galleries sometimes get a little over the top, we don't monitor the images unless we get a report. Once we get a report we take appropriate action to keep the images within the posting agreement. One person who was upset with his images getting reported wondered why someone who was not a friend could even see his images, well we wondered the same thing as we looked into the account, because it was always meant to be friends first to see images. Once we found out that we had a glitch in the system that was allowing non-friends looking at personal images we took corrective action to fix this error.

We didn't stop anyone from looking at pictures, you just had to be a friend first.

Not realizing the back lash of what people were really looking at the galleries for didn't become apparent until we did this. Let me explain. Right after we did this people were saying that they were looking at pictures of ads that were being posted in the albums, they didn't want to have to become friends of someone to look at pictures of their ads. We were a little disappointed in this because the RaceSpace profiles were not meant to be a replacement for an actual classified ad gallery upgrade. So we found the majority of complaining was going on from people who seemed a little duped that they had to take this extra step because someone was... well I don't want to say "cheating the system" but you can see where I'm going with this. Let's call it using the systems we put in place to avoid something else, and that's OK. I would probably do the same thing given the opportunity.

Having said that, we are NOT stopping this practice at all, people can still do that and we now realize that people are going to do that, but they will have to now just do that within the privacy policies of the racespace, friends first.

Some people are saying that we did this FOR this reason, and that is not the case at all, obviously we are not going to let anyone know who that person was that initially had this friends / image question, but this person did help us find this glitch, that allowed us to make our programming match our policies.

We hope this helps you understand why the site changed in this manner on this issue.

Please keep the questions coming, and after you post one please just shoot me an email to [email protected] so I know that there is one to take a look at. I can't always be certain that I get time to get into the Forums section but I will try.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:08 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Why are messages being deleted :?: Some of us keep's them just in case someone like in here get's buyers remorse, we have those messages to fall back on :!: Say i do some trading and at the time and a short time after he/she is happy, then two week's or a couple months down the road they get unhappy and come here, those messages can be posted here for everyone to see :!: :!: JMO Mark Arnold
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 AM
PJ
CRAFTSMAN

Default Messages

Sorry, forgot to talk about messages.

Our head of technology came to us a few months back and issued a warning about message load, stating that we had to do something to lighten the load when it came to message processing. We didn't think it was a big deal until we saw the numbers, trust us, it's a big deal. I was blown away to the load and the shear size of that database. IT'S HUGE, bigger than you can image it to be.

WE KEEP EVERYTHING, we don't have to, but we want to make sure that we give our members the best protection possible when it comes to dealing with past history with a member. It's all locked down and private and can only be seen by a court order, but we had to set a time frame that we allowed messages to be displayed, because of the constant pull from all our servers.

We can still get all your data to you, I have plenty of times for people, so if you are really needing information on your account, that you absolutely cant get anywhere else, we can supply that to you, we just don't display it anymore.

If you need it just send an email to [email protected] and we will send back the attached file to you with all your stuff on it.

We are here to help, we just have to listen to our tech team once in a while too or then we have a much bigger problem.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM
hollowayshotrods
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Messages

PJ,
Maybe in the future you can make your members aware of these types of changes with an advance notice. I have several ADS that y'all erased that I needed. Now I have to rewrite my description? Not cool, a little advance notice would have been appropriate before making these changes. Everyone could have moved the stuff they needed/wanted to another means of storage.
I appreciate you letting us know you can retrieve it for us.
Rudy

Originally Posted by pj
Sorry, forgot to talk about messages.

Our head of technology came to us a few months back and issued a warning about message load, stating that we had to do something to lighten the load when it came to message processing. We didn't think it was a big deal until we saw the numbers, trust us, it's a big deal. I was blown away to the load and the shear size of that database. IT'S HUGE, bigger than you can image it to be.

WE KEEP EVERYTHING, we don't have to, but we want to make sure that we give our members the best protection possible when it comes to dealing with past history with a member. It's all locked down and private and can only be seen by a court order, but we had to set a time frame that we allowed messages to be displayed, because of the constant pull from all our servers.

We can still get all your data to you, I have plenty of times for people, so if you are really needing information on your account, that you absolutely cant get anywhere else, we can supply that to you, we just don't display it anymore.

If you need it just send an email to [email protected] and we will send back the attached file to you with all your stuff on it.

We are here to help, we just have to listen to our tech team once in a while too or then we have a much bigger problem.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:10 PM
wvhippie
MASTER BUILDER

I am glad to here that RJ still has the deleated messages. I always keep all corispondence with the people I deal with. You never know when somebody will get a case of traders or buyers remorse. If everything is documented then it cant be said that you didnt inform the other party of the facts. I always make shure that the details of a deal are ran through the RJ message system so I have a record that is controlled by a third party. I do understand you privicy policy but it is still a little inconveinant to have to friend someone to see additional pics of their car.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I do understand you privicy policy but it is still a little inconveinant to have to friend someone to see additional pics of their car.
x2, but I almost never look at peoples profiles. Don't know why I just don't look around very much. The only time I do is if the send me a friends request. I like to see who I'm adding to my list.
BTW some of the girl pics on peoples profiles are (imo) pretty tacky to have as their default pic!! I like looking as much as anybody, I just think it's not the right place to put those kind of pics.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:52 AM
mopar1968
RACING JUNKIE

Thank you P.J for explaining that. Mark Arnold