Car Auction

Old 12-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Harbone
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by oldandtired
I would run from this, not only because of the questions about construction, but it may already be listed in litigation papers for the law suit that you know is coming.
Dave
also, there is something creepy about buying a car that someone died in, maybe thats just me but... :?

As close to "Normal" as I can get...
Old 12-07-2009, 07:51 AM
gungho
EXPERT BUILDER

Originally Posted by dpassmore
The nitrous bottle is to close the the occupants heads. The main hoop/cage is leaned too far rearward.

I also feel the seats are not safe race seats.
O.k. but neither the cage failed or the nitrous bottle,and the seats are still intact,I'm sure this guy is very sad about the loss of his friend,and indeed it was an accident,bless his family and friends,I just wanted to stick up for the driver,saying it didnt look like builder error but a mere accident..jmo
Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM
kwkracing
RACING JUNKIE

I looked at the add, i didnt realize it was about 45 mins away from my house, i agree it seems too creepy to mess with, even thou there is not really anything there i want.

But if i passed away in my car or not, i would want someone to fix and continue enjoying it. We put alot of hard passionante work in what we do. Some might not be capable of great work, but it still has meaning. So with that, If you ever see anything unsafe please try to help them.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 AM
TheYellaBrick
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kwkracing
I looked at the add, i didnt realize it was about 45 mins away from my house, i agree it seems too creepy to mess with, even thou there is not really anything there i want.

But if i passed away in my car or not, i would want someone to fix and continue enjoying it. We put alot of hard passionante work in what we do. Some might not be capable of great work, but it still has meaning. So with that, If you ever see anything unsafe please try to help them.

Good point !! To some car folks, there is a fine line between being 'constructively critical' (for safeties sake) and 'harshly critiquing' their rides. Not sounding like a know it all but easing into giving sound advise is the trick if you really want to help the guy/gal build a SAFE car.
Re this car in question, one could buy it for a decent price and rebuild it SAFER than it is now. Make absolutely SURE that it is COMPLETELY out of the legalities of this event though. It'd be a total SHAME to have it taken from you after dumping time and money in it.
IMHO, I'd 'recycle' a dead racers car as I'd want someone to recycle mine if it was not totally totaled.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 PM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

I feel like the whole incident had nothing to do with the cars safety, it looked safe to me, I've drove alot worse.

The critical safety imfraction(s) was driver error IMO>

#1 letting a passenger ride
#2 driving a racecar on the street.
#3 passenger not wearing proper safety gear E.G.> seat belt and helmut.

JMO, Cp
Old 12-08-2009, 07:51 AM
qtrmile2
DYNO OPERATOR

I remember back in the 60's and 70's we ran on the streets with anywhere from 9.00, 10.00, 11.00,12.00 and 13.00 second cars with no roll cages, no helmets and no seat belts. Yeah we were lucky to survive and some didn't. This was an accident that everyone wished would not have happen. I'm just saying we do things we shouldn't and sometimes get away with it. Then again sometimes we don't. Stuff happens and it is a real shame.
Don't get me wrong, Im not saying he should of done this but we all have done stupid things that we shoudn't have one time or another.