e-85

Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Dahlton
Originally Posted by zipper06
Originally Posted by Dahlton
i want to use e85 because it is not legal to run methanol on the street.
OOPS!!! ops:

Didn't know that, no experience with E85.

Zip.
is it legal to run methanol on the street in USA?
Not really, because the states donot get the road tax assoicated with the stuff out of the pump. It's also not legal to run Avaition gas (102 octane plus)for the same reason, no road tax. Most states have smog testing stations, but La. and Ms.are not one of them.

Zip.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:14 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

in S.C. you could run whatever you want...no emission laws here...actually you can run a bare frame with a motor and tape two flashlights to the front and could drive it....lol....No joke !....No inspection laws either...they done away with that law years ago.......its a common sight to see people running around with busted out windshields/side glasses everyday

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

Personaly, e-85 is a hassle for guys that cruise their cars a lot. The mileage sucks, and if you hammer on it a lot, you better have access to a station, because you WILL need to fill up. I build my fair share of E-85 stuff, and its great for a performance engine, except the above hassle.

For a drag race deal, that you just run at the track, its a very economical way to go. It works great with forced induction set ups. For it to be even worth using for a street car, you should run 13+:1 compression. Thats the whole point of it. Its a cheap high octane fuel, that allows high compression. If you use it on your 10:1 engine, it will pick up some power, 10hp, 10ft/lbs, if its tuned well, but isn;t worth the hassle. 3 points of compression, on a stout 10:1 steet engine, your talking a pretty healthy bit of power, and is worth the hassle for a limited use deal. Even daily driver stuff like your new Ford truck, that can run on either E-85, or gas, most never use E-85, because it gets shytty mileage, plus, its WAY worse for the environment than gas, for many reasons, none of which is the improved emmisions.

Another fuel I like, and its NOT a dry fuel, what ever that means, is the above mentioned low lead av gas. I have been using and recomending that stuff for 20 plus years. Its been consistant the whole time. Its technicaly not street legal, but, neither is race gas. Its another cheap way to go for good fuel. it will support a lot of compression. I have ran it on 13:1 iron head bbc's, and it made more power than 110 octane race fuel. The main reason its not street legal, is because it still has lead in it, which by default, makes it NOT a dry fuel. Lead is a lubricant, a detonation supressor, and it cushions valve seats, so, it is not a dry fuel like I hear A LOT. E-85 on the other hand, if anything is a dry fuel, that is. It acts like methanol, which, could be considered dry. Thats why you use an upper cylinder lube with either E-85 or methanol.

Frank
Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

Now that I read the above, being in finland, and your other option is methanol, E-85 is a better choice. You will actualy get a mileage increase, lol. I think they are a lot stricter in European countries about the legality of motor fuels. Here, who checks it? Even if it is illegal to run. How many people in California run stuff they aren't supposed to? They have inspections, but thats easy enough to get around. But, if you get caught, thats another story. In states with no inspections, who is going to nail you? A cop? Like most cops would know that you have av gas, race gas, E-85, 92, whatever.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by Pwmax
Now that I read the above, being in finland, and your other option is methanol, E-85 is a better choice. You will actualy get a mileage increase, lol. I think they are a lot stricter in European countries about the legality of motor fuels. Here, who checks it? Even if it is illegal to run. How many people in California run stuff they aren't supposed to? They have inspections, but thats easy enough to get around. But, if you get caught, thats another story. In states with no inspections, who is going to nail you? A cop? Like most cops would know that you have av gas, race gas, E-85, 92, whatever.
u just proved my point with your last 2 sentences in reference to No state inspection here in S.C.....No-one cares what you run....truthfully spoken.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Dahlton
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Originally Posted by Pwmax
Personaly, e-85 is a hassle for guys that cruise their cars a lot. The mileage sucks, and if you hammer on it a lot, you better have access to a station, because you WILL need to fill up. I build my fair share of E-85 stuff, and its great for a performance engine, except the above hassle.

For a drag race deal, that you just run at the track, its a very economical way to go. It works great with forced induction set ups. For it to be even worth using for a street car, you should run 13+:1 compression. Thats the whole point of it. Its a cheap high octane fuel, that allows high compression. If you use it on your 10:1 engine, it will pick up some power, 10hp, 10ft/lbs, if its tuned well, but isn;t worth the hassle. 3 points of compression, on a stout 10:1 steet engine, your talking a pretty healthy bit of power, and is worth the hassle for a limited use deal. Even daily driver stuff like your new Ford truck, that can run on either E-85, or gas, most never use E-85, because it gets shytty mileage, plus, its WAY worse for the environment than gas, for many reasons, none of which is the improved emmisions.

Another fuel I like, and its NOT a dry fuel, what ever that means, is the above mentioned low lead av gas. I have been using and recomending that stuff for 20 plus years. Its been consistant the whole time. Its technicaly not street legal, but, neither is race gas. Its another cheap way to go for good fuel. it will support a lot of compression. I have ran it on 13:1 iron head bbc's, and it made more power than 110 octane race fuel. The main reason its not street legal, is because it still has lead in it, which by default, makes it NOT a dry fuel. Lead is a lubricant, a detonation supressor, and it cushions valve seats, so, it is not a dry fuel like I hear A LOT. E-85 on the other hand, if anything is a dry fuel, that is. It acts like methanol, which, could be considered dry. Thats why you use an upper cylinder lube with either E-85 or methanol.

Frank
Is it not a little high 13+:1 compression with forced induction on e-85? Or did you mean 13+:1compression NA engines?
Old 12-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

I am also very interested in nthis subject. Sorry to highjack./...

I am putting together a 454 out of spare parts that I have lying around...I have a rotating assembly that is 12.5 to 1 . I am thinking of trying e85 just because I do not want to buy pistons and have it rebalanced and there is ann e85 station down the street. I will have to buy a carb but I need one anyway....It is a car that will be driven rarely and power isn't a concern....just want to use the parts I have but using race gas is a pain since you have to go buy it someplace and then poor it in the car...can't just pump it in. I used to run CAMII in my small block on the street because they sell it at SPEEDWAY gas stations... They would never allow me to pump it into the car...I had to put it in a gas can first. So I would drive up to the pump and hold up the can...they would turn on the pump then I'd pump 5 gallon into the can,poor it into the car,then 5 more gallon into the can then the car ...lol etc. That was when it was $3.00 a gallon and pump gas was less than $1.00
Old 12-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice
in S.C. you could run whatever you want...no emission laws here...actually you can run a bare frame with a motor and tape two flashlights to the front and could drive it....lol....No joke !.
:lol: :lol:
Old 01-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Pwmax
MASTER BUILDER

13:1 naturaly aspirated
Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 AM
john910
CRAFTSMAN

Default e-85

has anyone had any luck with e-85

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -