Indexing plugs

Old 08-17-2009, 12:44 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by rlmotorsports
I have to index my plugs because they will hit and index all of them between 10 and 2 o'clock .
I mark the plug with a sharpie straight down the plug from the strap so i can see where it is and add or subtract washers until they all line up.
RL,

So what your saying is you position them between 10 & 2 O'Clock.

If I understand that correctly, in your circumstance, it really does not matter if they are pointed to the intake of exhaust valves??
Or is it your just glad to have gotten them into a position that they won't hit because of the hassle of installing & removing washers.

Kinda like a comfort zone......
Just wondering...
Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM
newjack42
JUNIOR BUILDER

Like Ash i was told by a old timer gap towards intake. didnt relize there was so many oppions on this.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
gungho
EXPERT BUILDER

It is for high compression engines you set it 10-2:00 so it is up out of the way of the piston as it comes up.that is why indexing is needed,it is not an option for high comp.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:07 PM
tireburner
APPRENTICE

Default indexing

I agree with rlmotorsports I mark a linr striaght down the plug and put it in with the electro up away from the piston. if I don't the plug will hit the piston. Plus I have to use the NGK racing plug 5962 r6061-10 the electro's are short striaght and tacked to the inside of the plug that gives you even more cleance.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

I also use NGK 9 or 10.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:31 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by ashbros
Originally Posted by rlmotorsports
I have to index my plugs because they will hit and index all of them between 10 and 2 o'clock .
I mark the plug with a sharpie straight down the plug from the strap so i can see where it is and add or subtract washers until they all line up.
RL,

So what your saying is you position them between 10 & 2 O'Clock.

If I understand that correctly, in your circumstance, it really does not matter if they are pointed to the intake of exhaust valves??
Or is it your just glad to have gotten them into a position that they won't hit because of the hassle of installing & removing washers.

Kinda like a comfort zone......
Just wondering...
Ya I'm not really trying to get them at the valve as much as I'm trying to get the electrode up and away from the piston mine is very close if they are pointed down they will hit i have tried to get them angled toward the valve and i have just took a lot longer and was no advantage for me after replacing the plugs the last few times i just did them at 10 and 2 and it didn't change a thing ran the same and was a lot faster for me to do it that way.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Ron is right between 10 and 2 (strap up )....no Hp gains..this is a clearance safety issue only...Now that the plugs have cut back Straps its not as cruial to Index as it once was with the long straps on older style Plugs

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 AM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

also my je pistons have a indent for extra clearance.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 PM
RonOwensRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I run Aries pistons in this engine and they have a dimple cut in them also but they still hit .
This engine is 16.8.1 so it fills up the chamber a little to much