FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

Originally Posted by ARUSSELL
$2100+ for that block.

I'm really cheep.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:32 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Whelp, I certainly don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but my boy has an LS1 in his C-5 Vette. It's beefed up and has a 500 shot multistage nitrous set up on it. He is not too hot out of the hole with the stock vette suspension, but is is still purty darn quick. I hate to say it, but he has run the snot out ouf that motor.

I actually look for this thread to become quite popular once the word gets out. We just need to find a few LS guru's to help it out.

I have seen the LS motors handle a lot of power ie. nitrous, turbos and prochargers making well over 1000 hp. Not to bad for a small block.

As far as working on them, its not too bad once you have been through one of them once or twice. The 6 bolt main caps on the ls motors are a tad bit stronger than conventional 4 bolt main SBC's.

Can't punch these blocks out .060 over. These bolcks are not designed to be bored out at all.

We disassembled the top end of my boys Ls 1 put on a new oil pump, timing chain and gears, LS6 heads, new cam etc. Took about 12 hours from start to finish. but aftermarket parts like the oil pump do not bolt right on. It takes a little milling on the pump and timing cover to make everything fit on some applications.

The head design isn't to bad either. We did quite a bit of test porting and flow checking. Word to the wise, DO NOT REMOVE ANY MATERIAL FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE RUNNER, """YOU WILL LOSE FLOW"""

Removing material and polishing in the upper portion of the runner and down the sides mid way increase your flow considerably.

I am with you on this one tod74.........

I myself must admit, I have had my share of 500+ and 600+ cubic inch motors and I have came to the conclusion that if the motor is not over 500 CID it is not going in my car....................

Small Block Guys are always bragging about how they spin their small blocks to 8 grand, Well I spin my BBC to 8 grand, You don't see me braggin, Well. maybe a little.

All this talk about BBC vs. SBC vs. LS MOTORS, HP capability and engine reving is starting to boil the blood. Its' time to have another fun day tinkering around.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
BEAST477
RACING JUNKIE

I think we're all just showin' are age or just how old school we are. But like they say " If it ain't broke don't fix it". And I know I'm nothing but " Old School". :lol:
Old 08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
novasbc
SHOW GUEST

I too am one for the old school...but...capitalizing on the efficiency of the new design is yielding near 500 rwhp without touching the shortblocks...my 98 Z28 with a tame head/cam combo makes 420 rwhp with 23 mpg...fun to get the groceries in
Old 08-10-2009, 04:46 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

I've got a LS ( Long Stroke) 4.75, but I think mine came in a Vette!!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:13 PM
ashbros
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by novasbc
I too am one for the old school...but...capitalizing on the efficiency of the new design is yielding near 500 rwhp without touching the shortblocks...my 98 Z28 with a tame head/cam combo makes 420 rwhp with 23 mpg...fun to get the groceries in
Yep, I hear ya about the MPG. My by is getting 32 HWY 29 City.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 AM
supergass
JUNIOR BUILDER

I think you cannot deny the cylinder head capability. In the GM catalog they have a new head coming out called the LSX-DR for drag race. It has a 2.25 intake valve and says the head is capable of 430 cfm. There is where the difference is going to be. That will be a fast cylinder filling port. I am ALL IN with the LSX block and that head with 454 inches. That LSX block can be bored to 4.250. I want to go 4.185 and 4.125 stroke for a 454 on pump gas. It will be a torque monster Im sure. BUT I still have a 406 and a 565 old school. They will continue to stay home with me.

In fact the unported L-92 cyl head flows in the 316s at 600 lift with a 4 inch bore. GMPP catalog is only 5 dollars, go get one this engine platform is awesome!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:04 PM
ragtopssz28
SHOW GUEST

Default LS

I have been working on these motors for 4 years now. I'm amazed at the technology that can deliver 23-28MPG with 400-600HP, and 9-11 second track times in 3300-3600LB cars. Most investments are $4000-8000.00, as the heads, intakes, and related accessories are still up there in price. The Auto OD/6SPD trannies are pricey also. The diffs are comparable to the old school stuff, unless going to a sheetmetal 9". GM High Tech is the Bible of choice for good info.

The DR-LSX heads are stricly race and big cube at the flow numbers advertised-422-430CFM. We are hoping that Chevy comes out with a DR-LSX 330-380CFM head for the street guys. Most of todays heads are CNC'd for 330-360CFM-I, 240-260CFM-E, whether stock style or aftermarket.

The tuning is the issue today. There is a killing to be made if you can tune an EFI vehicle. I am being educated as I write.

The event of the year is the LSX Shootout-Oct, 15-18, in Memphis, Tn.
If you want to see Big Block killers in street form, this is the place. I still have a 540, but the LS motor has similar power and much better mileage, Damn-I never thought I'd say that in public!!

Good Luck, People!
Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 PM
jt80
SHOW GUEST

Well, I recently started racing again and I have a 97 Camaro with a ls1 swap. The motor is all stock except for a intake and throttle body and headers and its running 7.35 in the 1/8 all day long consistently, very consistently depending on the track. I drive it on the street also.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:57 AM
TecHunter
SHOW GUEST

GM really has done their homework with these motors. Im building a 440 cid LSX block based version. I have the short deck LSX block, but you could still max this thing out at about 480 cid. But my goal it too build 1200hp streetable, and thats not hard with a turbo or supercharger! Plus id like too leave room for rebuilding if i have too. I would go with more cubes but normally anything over 4 inches of stroke isnt good for the street.

The LSX block can handle up to 2500hp, and thats some serious power for a small block. Not to mention the heads alone are six bolts per cylinder, and push 370cfm on the intake out of the box. The skies the limit with this block!

Also, the aluminum production block isnt a bad choice either, the weight savings alone makes this thing a great selection for racing if its setup right.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service