1/8 mile gear only

Old 06-13-2009, 12:47 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

dParker you r right I should explain a little better so yall can understand more of what I'm saying. I tend to talk before I think sometimes. and you are 100% right I hear ya about being consistent in Bracket racing and taking care of these $20.000 motors and all the other parts that you have to work for a month to pay for. and whay I'm doing right now is index racing they run on 7.50-7.00-6.60-6.20-5.80-5.40 in the 1/8 no electronics allowed. my car is in the 6.20 index and I'm right there 6.20 to 6.23 regularly. I've always loved Racing. for 40 years I've always owned and payed for the cars. but this is the first year I've done the Driving and now I want let anyone Drive my car. But with all the Questions about the Gears and The ET's I'm also the kind of guy that wants to make sure that I'm getting 100% of what the thing can do. and from what you all have taught me now is be Happy with the 6.20's one it is easier on the parts it's consistent and two it's gonna take way more than a gear to get me to 5.80. the engine will go well into the 8000 rpm range but I guess like you say why. I'm not wanting to replace motors just for the heck of trying to push it where it should'nt be any way. I was more just currious about could it run a 5.80 in the 1/8 being it had so much left at the stripe @6.20 and really now that I think about it it's only gaining 28 MPH from the 1/8 to the 1/4 so that may not be a lot left after all. 1/8 @112 mph - 1/4 @140 mph what do you think about these mph #'s do they seem normal or is something off. I honestly don't know.
Thanks Andy [I hope I'm not talking to much I get carried away sometimes.]
Old 06-13-2009, 02:39 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

A 28 mph increase from 1/8 to 1/4 is awesome. If you want a little faster ET without running your engine alot harder. Do it in the first 330ft, thats where ET is made. You can put a bigger plantery in and a bigger stall converter. Getting rid of any unnecesary weight, tweeking your carb and your timing. Even going to alcohol would make you 2 tenths faster. I think just tuning what you've got you can get in the 5's relatively easily.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

Mr. dParker you just made my Day. I'm gonna work on that. thank you very much for your Input. and I will let you know how things work out.
Andy Byrd
Old 06-14-2009, 08:16 PM
andybyrd
MASTER BUILDER

well I took it back to the track today. and all I can say about the trans break is WOW!!!. But I think leaving at 5000 rpm is a little crazy but WoW!!! But it did'nt go without problems. when I let go of the button it took awhile before it left. so being it aint been used in a year I might need to rewire it to make sure it is getting good hot and ground. and also about my RPM thru the trap is 6000 with the 32'' tires and 5.14 gear my peak HP is @ 6700 am I loosing something there.
Thanks for any information.
Andy
Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Make sure the solenoid isn't sticking ...with the car off you should be able to hear it click when you push the button. Mine was doing that after it sat for awhile and I gave it a couple light smacks with a screwdriver handle and it started working normal again.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 PM
dparker
RACING JUNKIE

Make sure your don't have your delay box in crossover mode or just have alot of delay in it.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:09 AM
chevyfireball
MASTER BUILDER

About your trap rpm's. If its going thru at 6000 and your peak is 6700 I would think changing to a 5.40 is probably a good plan.