saw something Wild today

Old 11-09-2008, 12:52 PM
shawnp
RACING JUNKIE

Three years ago we were standing at the back of our trailer and next to us was a real clean nova a guy raced. We were all standing there talking and then we hear glass break and see the back window blow of the nova gone. We got to looking and found a lug off a converter in the car. Apparently it came off a dragster (we think was running on the track at the time) and managed to be thrown about 30 yards off the track thru the guys window.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:59 PM
plumkrazychevy
SHOW GUEST

Default something wild

Bjuice, i did the same thing on a 468 about a year ago. The motor was new with 4 passes and it happened on the burnout at about 5000rpms. i pulled up and my crew shut me down. number five cylinder.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:07 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: something wild

Originally Posted by plumkrazychevy
Bjuice, i did the same thing on a 468 about a year ago. The motor was new with 4 passes and it happened on the burnout at about 5000rpms. i pulled up and my crew shut me down. number five cylinder.
did you ever figure out what caused it ? or maybe what could have caused it other then the valve just breaking .....just curious ..what kind of valves were they ?

ya know i been around this sport for 32 years..and i have never seen one spit a freaking valve thru the rear exhaust like this......

damn i mean this guy i saw had headers ,bullet ( dyno max) mufflers and exhaust run out rear qtrs ( turn down) ..and it still spit the valve out that far away...
i whitnessed this 1st hand and still having a tough time believeing what i saw

i am just glad someone else knows something of this.so i don't sound quite so Crazy telling the story.. .... :roll: ops:

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Oldewalnut
SENIOR BUILDER

Default Flying parts

I've seen sparks fly out from behind cars before. Happened to me up at Muncie Dragway with my Chevy II in the mid 80's. When my buddy launched the car, I watched a wad of sparks fly out from under it?

When he pulled up to the trailer, I asked him if anything about the car felt funny. No, says he. I proceeded to crawl all over and under the car. Pulled the valve covers off, found nothing out of the ordinary.

When bad things happen, it can sometimes wake you up. I ripped the pinion gear out of a 9" in one of my old 67 Mustangs in the 70's. Twisted the driveshaft up like a cheap aluminum pop can and busted the floorboard. Even wiith a helmet on, it sounded like a bomb going off inside. We're talking a bone stock 289 with a stick, on 10.5 slicks, wouldn't have thought a car would hook that hard, fooled me!
Old 11-16-2008, 07:23 AM
3dracing
MASTER BUILDER

I had a carrier bolt break in the rear end. It sounded like a shotgun went off. It rung the drive shaft into, busted the trans and converter and bent the crank. I was dialed a 6.08 running a dragster dialed 5.21 at a B & M race down to 15 cars. I got my senses together, got out of the car and Hasley says over the PA I had the win, dragster ran through and went 5.18.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 AM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

Guy pulled into the water box and did one of those 8,000 rpm burnouts :roll:

Bjuice,
This may sound like a stupid question, but how come you don't care for an 8,000 RPM burnout? Other than valve pieces coming out of the tailpipe and all, but couldn't that happen at lower rpms also? Maybe I still have alot of growing up to do, but man I LOVE stuff like that!!!!!
Mike
Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM
FullTimeRacing
DYNO OPERATOR

I have a 6000 chip so I don't lose before the race begun. :roll: :lol: :idea:
Old 11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by nemesisracing
Guy pulled into the water box and did one of those 8,000 rpm burnouts :roll:

Bjuice,
This may sound like a stupid question, but how come you don't care for an 8,000 RPM burnout? Other than valve pieces coming out of the tailpipe and all, but couldn't that happen at lower rpms also? Maybe I still have alot of growing up to do, but man I LOVE stuff like that!!!!!
Mike

Lol .....other then the obvious..the extended over the top 8,000+ rpm burnouts are simply not necessary for what needs to get done..(heating tires)

i am with you Mike about loving cool burnout stuff (donuts) in Parking lots etc...with 400hp engines that cost less than 4k...but as a burnout intended for heating up tires before a run..i will pass..i got to much $$$ in my engine combo's for that...
:shock:

but hey i love seeing others doing a 8k burnout....i find it quite amusing

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
quick8dragster07
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

I have enderle injection hat with air throttle and linkages, and stick a clip in it and run about 6200 trough the burnout.. seems to get the job done rather well on my sbc Plus I like rattling the earwax outta peoples ears with my zoomies! Though I do see a considerable difference in 62, and 8k+.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 AM
nemesisracing
JUNIOR BUILDER

Bjuice,
Oh, okay! I thought that I was missing some major secret about doing a "successful" burnout.
As far as my burnouts go, I tach my Mustang up as high as it will go and I would do a 12,000 RPM burnout if I could!!! :shock: I think the rev limiter is set around 6 grand or something like that. Either way it's bouncing off the rev limiter every time!
You should see me in my church parking lot. (During the week when no one is there of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Sundays are a different story. I'm good on Sunday! :twisted: