Breaking in the cam

Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 AM
cepx111
RACING JUNKIE

Sounds and looks good.
You'll have plenty of time to get it perfect for this spring, no sense in rushing it now - take your time. You could use the extra time to tidy up the shop a bit though...lol J/K it looks just like mine and I bet you know exactly where everything is too.
My car took me 3 years to put together. A divorce, new job, new housing and the lack of funds prevailed over the car, but now I'm happy as a bug in the rug with it.
It was the first car I ever built that I didn't max out a credit card on.

BTW> Nice car - keep us updated, Cp
Old 11-24-2008, 03:52 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by poncholvr
i still dont believe in breaking a cam in, jusst dont understand the point its hardened steel, oil pump works at the turn of the crank, ect...
that Flat tappets is a y good idea to break in..thats why the pasty cutting grit comes with the flat tappets so you put on the bottom of the lifter so the lifter seats with the cam lobes...they do cut down a certain degree..

rollers are a different story...i agree with you...but always a good idea to get heat in motor and seat rings..i think many of us old timers still refer to this as "breaking in cam" even if it really means seating rings with a roller...imo

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 11-24-2008, 10:56 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

hell rings take a lot longer than a lot of guys think . it depends on the rings
there are so many now days
remember when it was (chromeoly,or standard?)lol
Old 11-24-2008, 11:01 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

Originally Posted by bjuice
i still dont believe in breaking a cam in, jusst dont understand the point its hardened steel, oil pump works at the turn of the crank, ect...
that Flat tappets is a y good idea to break in..thats why the pasty cutting grit comes with the flat tappets so you put on the bottom of the lifter so the lifter seats with the cam lobes...they do cut down a certain degree..

rollers are a different story...i agree with you...but always a good idea to get heat in motor and seat rings..i think many of us old timers still refer to this as "breaking in cam" even if it really means seating rings with a roller...imo

the pasty cutting grit
my cam came with sticky red lube ,no past, never seen past stuff
they did say use plenty of the lube everywhere
to keep from scorching or burning things on start up
but thats why ya prime the motor with the screwdriver in the pump first lol

ppl havent thought right in this country for a long time-cant explain it but double ,and trippl think ,and check every thing
Old 11-25-2008, 03:53 AM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by cepx111
My car took me 3 years to put together. A divorce, new job, new housing and the lack of funds prevailed over the car, but now I'm happy as a bug in the rug with it.
It was the first car I ever built that I didn't max out a credit card on.

BTW> Nice car - keep us updated, Cp
I didn't even have a credit card for almost 12 years. Da* if I didn't make up for lost time with my new ride!!

Tom nice car and you'll enjoy more for all the years of labor. But to be honest guys I would have a stroke if it took me more than a few months to build anything!
Old 11-27-2008, 05:03 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by bjuice

the pasty cutting grit
my cam came with sticky red lube ,no past, never seen past stuff
they did say use plenty of the lube everywhere
to keep from scorching or burning things on start up
but thats why ya prime the motor with the screwdriver in the pump first lol

ppl havent thought right in this country for a long time-cant explain it but double ,and trippl think ,and check every thing

here is some paste they put out now..back in the early 80's this paste came in a small round container like the lip balm ( carmax) ..it was grey and nasty.

http://www.streetperformance.com/par...862-35000.html

the Gray Gritty paste i am thinking of is the seating compound used on valve jobs..

Both compunds looked very similar..the grit being for the valve jobs

also here is Crane Cams Procedures and explanation of a flat tappet cam break in.

ttp://www.cranecams.com/pdf/548e.pdf

Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

bud that's not gritty though it says lubricant lol
comp cams is red and sticky-or was,and helps out
Old 11-27-2008, 07:33 PM
poncholvr
MASTER BUILDER

(Do not use on piston rings or cylinder walls)

wait a minuet - dont they know or realize its going in the oil,and will end up on the pistons?-hahahaha
:roll:
Old 11-28-2008, 04:18 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

(Do not use on piston rings or cylinder walls)

wait a minuet - dont they know or realize its going in the oil,and will end up on the pistons?-hahahaha
:roll:
really...lol