everybody post a pic of there ride

Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
  #631  
jerpazz
Junior Member
JOURNEYMAN
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 28
Default

Rabbit
am asking this question in an "educate me" tone (am not questioning your set up)

You have a 4 stage dry sump with all stages pulling from the pan, why not from the lifter valley or rear of the heads ?

also - what kind of carburetion will you have on this ?
jerpazz is offline  
Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 PM
  #632  
TheRabbit
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
TheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga.
Posts: 2,295
Default

The majority of the oil is gonna be in the pan and the lines have to be completly submerged in oil to work. Oil drainage from the heads and lifter valley would not be enough to supply the pump.


AED carb running Q16 fuel.
TheRabbit is offline  
Old 11-10-2009, 08:29 AM
  #633  
jerpazz
Junior Member
JOURNEYMAN
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
The majority of the oil is gonna be in the pan and the lines have to be completly submerged in oil to work. Oil drainage from the heads and lifter valley would not be enough to supply the pump.


AED carb running Q16 fuel.
Interesting...
I run mine from the pan only as well, and have thought I was lacking by not having it pulling from other passages.

Other set-ups I've seen (like on nascar dry systems [no - am not a nascar fan] - or formula) I've seen where they have 2 of the 4 stages pulling from ea. side of the rear of the head, one pulling from the back of the lifter valley (thru the block - or down thru intake) and one from the pan... but have also seen like yours - pulling from the pan only.

I guess as long as your getting the oil where it needs to be it's all good.
jerpazz is offline  
Old 11-10-2009, 10:08 AM
  #634  
TheYellaBrick
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
TheYellaBrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Emmett, Idaho
Posts: 7,334
Default

Because NASCAR races are an 'endurance' type of engine activity, they use vast quantities of oil to cool the valve trains, hence return lines at the rear of the heads.
TheYellaBrick is offline  
Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM
  #635  
TheRabbit
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
TheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga.
Posts: 2,295
Default

The guy that built mine was a Nascar egine builder for a few years for Gibbs. I'll have to ask him to help me on this. The only way I've ever seen it done on a drag motor is out of the pan.
TheRabbit is offline  
Old 11-11-2009, 04:14 PM
  #636  
jerpazz
Junior Member
JOURNEYMAN
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
The guy that built mine was a Nascar egine builder for a few years for Gibbs. I'll have to ask him to help me on this. The only way I've ever seen it done on a drag motor is out of the pan.
very cool - plz let me know what he says.
jerpazz is offline  
Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 AM
  #637  
TheRabbit
Senior Member
RACING JUNKIE
 
TheRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga.
Posts: 2,295
Default

OK plane and simple ( which is how I asked him to explain it to me)
You want to create the most amout of vacuum possible with the oil pump. With only 4 stages like mine you put all of them in the pan under the rings.
6 stages you would put the other 2 in the head and lifter valley which really helps keep the windage down.
Hey thanks for the ? I learned something new.
TheRabbit is offline  
Old 11-16-2009, 12:18 PM
  #638  
jerpazz
Junior Member
JOURNEYMAN
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 28
Default

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
OK plane and simple ( which is how I asked him to explain it to me)
You want to create the most amout of vacuum possible with the oil pump. With only 4 stages like mine you put all of them in the pan under the rings.
6 stages you would put the other 2 in the head and lifter valley which really helps keep the windage down.
Hey thanks for the ? I learned something new.
good to know - Thanks
"knowledge is power... literally"
jerpazz is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 05:27 PM
  #639  
wreckmastr
Junior Member
SHOW GUEST
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shady Side, MD
Posts: 2
Default





Hood

wreckmastr is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 05:39 PM
  #640  
wreckmastr
Junior Member
SHOW GUEST
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shady Side, MD
Posts: 2
Default Ralphs





wreckmastr is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -