everybody post a pic of there ride

Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 AM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Thanks Guys

Here's a little more data on the car and project. I've had the car since 1986. It went with me to Panama in 1990 while in the Air Force to oust Noriega. Had a great time with it there. After the invation, we used an old air strip and would drag race the locals. Never lost! It was basically a 67 coupe street car with a mild 428cj then. When I got back from Panama I got stationed at Goldsboro NC. There I started modifying it into a street/ strip back half car with an 8 point roll bar, narrowed 9" with 4.56 gears, adjustable coil over shocks, ladder bars and 14X32 tires. Ran 7.50's. I later removed all the interior, glass windows, metal dash and added a fiberglass hood, bumpers and trunk lid (still a coupe). I also built a new 428cj. I installed lexan windows, aluminum interior, one fiberglass seat and repainted the car black again. I have some of those photos if you care to see. I wrecked the car in 2000 at the Ford Expo at Columbus Ohio. Ran 10.60 @ 121 mph. I replaced the front chassis clip and sheet metal from the firewall forward out of a 68 GT, the two left tires and wheels and left rear quarter panel and repainted the car black again!. It took me two years! I raced the car in NC and then in central Fl. till last year that I threw a rod. I decided to build a new engine and re-skin the car with fiberglass parts, add a halo and an Xbar to the cage, window net and a fastback top. That's where I'm at now trying to finish it. The new engine will make approx 680 hp and 640 ftlbs of tq. The wole thing will weig approx 2500 lbs with me and fuel and should run mid 9's. We'll see! George
Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
jmech
JOURNEYMAN

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...e/Img_0159.jpg
In progress. Next is the body work, then on to the fun stuff with the motor and trans.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:13 PM
woodsman
DYNO OPERATOR

jmech that is looking very nice and I hope you enjoy it when you finish. Keep it safe when you get to the track and most of all I hope it runs the numbers that you are looking for. Wesley
Old 06-07-2007, 03:16 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

jmech,

Nice Chevelle!!!

It looks like it is going to be Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast!!!!

Keep us posted on its progress!

If you need anything holler
Old 06-07-2007, 03:21 PM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default That's coming along great!

I hope to take the body off the current home made square tube chassis and drop it over a nice tube chassis like yours someday. Not this time around. Converting the coupe into a fastback with fiberglass body panels is the fourth make over I give my mustang race car. This is what it looked like during the previous phase.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 PM
chevguy65
RACING JUNKIE

Holy Moly Cobra.....that is a sweet square back.
I am such the chevguy but that is just NICE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:44 PM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Not any more!

That's how it use to look. Everybody told me I was crazy for cutting it all up to make a fastback out of it. But I think it will look even nicer when I'm finished. I just like the fastbacks more than the coupes and I just happen to have the top laying around. Check out what it looked like when I cut the top off. :lol:

Old 06-07-2007, 04:32 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

nice....you did real good..i didn't know FLY boys could build 'HOT RODS" like that....JUST KIDDING......I LIKE IT ALOT..

brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 06-07-2007, 05:08 PM
cobrajet428
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Thanks Juice, This flyboy has gotten his wings clipped! :lol: I like flying down the track now but I want at least my two rear wheels on the ground for the first 60 feet and all four for the rest of the run. I have put the shinny side against the wall in the past. It's no fun. :cry:

Old 06-08-2007, 12:58 PM
jmech
JOURNEYMAN

Thanks for the kind words guy's. I know it doesn't look like mutch right now. Cobrajet428, it looks like you have some work to do. Mutch easyer with the roof out of the way. I'v had the body on and off the chevelle at least 3 times. Right now its hanging from the cieling, and the chassis is upside down on the floor so i can finish welding. Ever try tig welding on your back with a foot pedal LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -